Best Way to Sell My Platinum Diamond Ring??

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay so I had the ring appraised and now I am wondering the best way to get the most money out of it. The platinum weighed in at a whopping 15.5 and the diamonds were V1 0.3 carat. The jeweler said he would scrap the platinum and give me $600 and my diamonds back. The ring appraised for $5100. I realize that i wont get that back but I would like to get as much as I can, obviously, lol. Would Ebay be my best bet? I have never sold anything on ebay so i am a little hesitant to do so. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a good informative thread. Thanks to Trent67 and Acquisitor and also Casper-2 for there inputs. I've only sold my gold and platinum for melt (ARA). I do have about a dozen nicer rings that are too good to destroy. I'm looking forward to how the ring looks and how well it sells. Best of luck to you, Trent67!:hello2:

Thanks DrJoePrime. I will keep everyone informed. I would also like to thank Casper as well. I don't believe that I thanked Casper yet for his input. Mucho appreciated!

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
I would suggest taking your pics against a white background as the shine of the ring picks up the background like a mirror.
my 2cents Jim

Here some pics after being professionally polished. I'm not offended at all. I understand that I wont get anything close to appraisal. I do however appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

P.S. I know the pictures are horrible. Hopefully these are a bit better. I still used my iphone though.

View attachment 991285

View attachment 991286

View attachment 991287

View attachment 991288

View attachment 991290

View attachment 991291

View attachment 991292

GoldenNerd

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would shoot it against a black mirror'd surface - like a 6"x6" gloss floor tile from Home Depot or something. With good lighting, flagging and angles you can get a very professional look. (The black will add contrast more than the white which will cause the ring to "pop" more.)

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great thread. Thanks for sharing Trent...

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck selling your ring. Thanks for all the good advice everybody. I have a small 18K ring I found and the melt value is only $38.00 as it weighs 1.23 grams. It has a stone, but I haven't tested it. I've only bought 1 item off ebay and never sold anything and with my little ring, it probably isn't worth the hassle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread