Apr 15, 2008
Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking of doing this with eBay when I get a full roll of one date. So far I've got about half a roll of bicentennial proofs. I'd also like some feedback from anyone who's tried this. There's bound to be a market for people who don't want to invest in the expense of Gem proofs.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold about a dozen of mine to a board member here several months ago. I do not see him post anymore. He was going to sell on ebay. Never heard if he did OK or not.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
I thought LJ was going to sell some of hers on consignment with a local coin dealer, but I never heard anything else about it :-\. I don't expect to ever get much over face for any of mine.. HH, Gpurs...

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
cyberdan said:
I sold about a dozen of mine to a board member here several months ago. I do not see him post anymore. He was going to sell on ebay. Never heard if he did OK or not.

That was me. I sold several of them in an auction and they did not attract much attention. Rather disapionting. I still have the rest. Most of them will get handed out as bonus coins for my ebay cusomers.

Dipping them in coin cleaner will "revive " them a little.

VPR

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
cyberdan said:

That was me. I sold several of them in an auction and they did not attract much attention. Rather disapionting. I still have the rest. Most of them will get handed out as bonus coins for my ebay cusomers.

Dipping them in coin cleaner will "revive " them a little.

VPR

No it won't, at least the dip I used, wich is for silver coins and not copper clad. It actually discolored the copper and the coin ended up being stained after a while.

I don't have a better way of cleaning them other than a soapy bath. But do not use a silver coin dip on copper clad coins.

Mojo

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Coin shops don't want them if "air" has touched them. I sell my duplicates for a buck apiece when I have 10 or 20 and charge $5 to ship them, plastic flips are .07 apiece but will hold 2, padded envelope is about $1, and freight on (20) runs about $3.40. I'ts not worth the trouble to sell one at a time.
Last time I was at the coin shop the guy shows ME a proof he gave .50 for cause it was damaged- I said I'll give you .50 for it- "O NO I couldn't do that LOL." HH Mark

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPURS said:
I thought LJ was going to sell some of hers on consignment with a local coin dealer, but I never heard anything else about it :-\. I don't expect to ever get much over face for any of mine.. HH, Gpurs...

Yes GPURS, pretty good memory. It wasn't consignment though. I sold a dozen or so outright to the local coin dealer for $1 each. He put a little mark up and put them in his 'Bargain Bin" basket.

On my return visits I would always ask if he sold any and he said he did but wasn't sure how many. So I would go through his big basket. They eventually all sold. He marked them up to $2 each.

Obviously they were not a big money maker for either of us but at least I did find a market for them and doubled my money while he doubled his at the same time. I haven't brought anymore to him and I still pull them when I come across them.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I have a couple of rolls of proofs I have found through coin roll hunting. My coin dealer will not buy them, as he does not think they are worth anything, and will not sell. Some of the ones I have are in great shape, others (especially proofs from the 70s) more often than not are kinda beat up.

I figure someday I will sell what I have on eBay when I have accumulated more of them. I know I won't make a lot of money, but some is better than none!
;D

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
LJ said:
GPURS said:

Yes GPURS, pretty good memory. It wasn't consignment though. I sold a dozen or so outright to the local coin dealer for $1 each. He put a little mark up and put them in his 'Bargain Bin" basket.

On my return visits I would always ask if he sold any and he said he did but wasn't sure how many. So I would go through his big basket. They eventually all sold. He marked them up to $2 each.

Obviously they were not a big money maker for either of us but at least I did find a market for them and doubled my money while he doubled his at the same time. I haven't brought anymore to him and I still pull them when I come across them.
I actually find this pretty encouraging! This means that there are people out there willing to pay $2 ea. for circulated proofs.. Thanks for the update :thumbsup:. HH, Gpurs....

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPURS said:
LJ said:
GPURS said:

I actually find this pretty encouraging! This means that there are people out there willing to pay $2 ea. for circulated proofs.. Thanks for the update :thumbsup:. HH, Gpurs....

In my opinion, these impaired proofs we find are kinda like old lettuce....nobody wanted it but you could feed it to a rabbit....lol. Like I mentioned, I'm still keeping them. Actually found 3 more today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions