tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've picked up (for 2 bucks here & 5 buck there) over time a small lot of sterling jewelry. Almost all of each item I paid, just at scrap or a little under the scrap value. I've seen sellers on ebay sell sterling jewelry in a pile with the weight noted and pictured on the scale. Some items are signed, but don't seem to be of any great collectability. It seems to me these all in one lot sales will out sell the scrap value as I'm thinking these sterling jewelry lots are great for a flea marketer and Antique Mall dealers to resale. Listing each piece seems like allot of work in listing & shipping and the fees would be more I'm thinking? The few signed pieces, may give the lot a sweeter looking appeal to buyers? I've no clue of the total weight at this time, as they are here and there in the house and I'm sure I'll find a few interesting items I forgot I purchased.

What say you? ... Would you list each item or get rid of it all in one listing?

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im always looking to buy vintage/antique pieces. Feel free to pm me.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im always looking to buy vintage/antique pieces. Feel free to pm me.
Sure, I'll do that when I get an account of what I have and willing to let go of in one lump some. But I will say, in my best interest, I'll be best to auction it to see who'll pay the most for it and prey the bidders are feeling frisky enough to way over spend. It's not any kind of massive lot of sterling, just some nice resalable pieces in my opinion. I'm getting lazy here and doing to much buying and not enough selling. Had a few good margin makers sell two month ago so I can take it easy for a bit and spend, but its getting time to drop a little on the horde, so you may be in luck for a deal from me here soon. I'm thinking I'd be better to find a contract ebay seller to do the work here lately, as the treasure hunting is so much more fun to do.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok.... Well if you decide to sell as a lot, let me know. I will pay well over melt.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I've got a fair amount I accumulated over the last few years. I've been selling it out of my display case at the antique mall the last few years. In my area it doesn't sell for much more than 25-35% over melt & it goes sloooooowly at that price. I'm closing my display case & think I'm going to get a booth so don't know exactly what I'll do with my sterling inventory. The antique mall has those small plastic boxes with the lock & alarm that rent for $.10-.50 depending on size that you keep until the item sells. I may go that route.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy and sell as often as I can... I sell to local dealers.. However, you're best bet is someone known here. I'm OK with taking wholesale prices, selling online you can sell retail but like you said lots of work listing. So I tend to sell wholesale, moves fast and everyone makes money.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
For stuff that cannot be easilly sold to dealers or on ebay: Set up at a flea market, dump the jewelry in xerox box lids, allow people to rummage through it, make up prices as you go along. You can use a scale to help you price stuff.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For stuff that cannot be easilly sold to dealers or on ebay: Set up at a flea market, dump the jewelry in xerox box lids, allow people to rummage through it, make up prices as you go along. You can use a scale to help you price stuff.
I am giving allot of thought of getting a case at the big Armadillo antique mall here in the Denver area. I travel a bunch on the road and talk to retired couples in their RV's that go up and down the highways from Chicago to San Francisco buying and filling the 20 booths & cases at these big city antique malls along the way. This Amarillo mall is packed with shoppers every day as they are open till nine pm and the place fills up with folks at rush hour at the end of the day. I like going just to get out of traffic when I'm stuck in it when I'm in that area. Takes me a good two hours to walk the show cases in that place and at times I may find a smoking deal. After that the traffic has thinned out. On weekends the parking lot is full of antique and collectable shoppers. I know a few gals who have booths in the big malls and they tell me stuff moves very well in those places. They will coast more over other places, but you know the 3 rules to retail spots and real estate is Location, Location, Location.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I am giving allot of thought of getting a case at the big Armadillo antique mall here in the Denver area. I travel a bunch on the road and talk to retired couples in their RV's that go up and down the highways from Chicago to San Francisco buying and filling the 20 booths & cases at these big city antique malls along the way. This Amarillo mall is packed with shoppers every day as they are open till nine pm and the place fills up with folks at rush hour at the end of the day. I like going just to get out of traffic when I'm stuck in it when I'm in that area. Takes me a good two hours to walk the show cases in that place and at times I may find a smoking deal. After that the traffic has thinned out. On weekends the parking lot is full of antique and collectable shoppers. I know a few gals who have booths in the big malls and they tell me stuff moves very well in those places. They will coast more over other places, but you know the 3 rules to retail spots and real estate is Location, Location, Location.

IMO, the overhead will kill your profits. I have considered renting a case many times. Every time I always realize that I just don't have enough stuff to consistently make the rent on the case. Maybe you have more stuff to sell. Try it if it works for you.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you really need to sell it, I wouldn't. As long as I can afford to hold on to my silver and gold, I will. It doesn't take up too much space and eventually it has to go up in price. Hopefully while i'm still alive, and before I "need" to sell it for some other reason. Designer signed pieces being the exception. I just can't see selling run of the mill silver right now as low as it is. I will continue to buy it though.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get $1.00 per gram on ebay easy if it's all in good shape.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread