Best way to word listing for watches to avoid this exact situation?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I know selling watches is a pain on ebay. However, does anyone have any advice on how to properly word a listing to avoid the following situation? I sold a 1940s watch in working order to someone on ebay. I specifically stated in the listing although it is is running it needs some work done to insure it keeps running. Well, the buyer filed for a return and claimed the watch was working but apparently stopped all together and won't work anymore. I accepted the return but am out $3 for shipping. In the future how should I word my listing? Should I just state that the watch is sold for parts and needs work even though it runs fine?

Also, what if I get the watch and it is completely broken due to negligence of not knowing how to handle a vintage watch? Do I file a claim with ebay? The watch was only $30 so it isn't a big deal but I would appreciate any advice!

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
'Watch sold as is for repair or parts only. Returns not accepted'

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Sold for parts or repair works. "Returns not accepted" may be a deterrent but eBay can & will force a return. I sold a vintage Rolex a couple months ago with almost the same description except I added "needs servicing". Buyer returned due to not working. When I got it back I tapped the watch on the palm of my hand & it started right up.

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
An item is either 100% working or "sold for parts or repair." eBay really has no tolerance for any state in between anymore, no traditional auction "as is, where is" or "everything works, BUT this one minor feature does not." The title, condition notes, and description all have to match exactly. Otherwise you are asking for trouble with buyers; many only read part of the listing.

"Returns not accepted" may be a deterrent but eBay can & will force a return.

This is a reasonable approach and correct. eBay forces you to take returns regardless of what policy you state in the listing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread