Best way Traveling overseas with detector?

saltwaterminer

Jul 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Headed to Panama City, Panama for a week long vacation at a resort in a few months... lucky me!

What is the best way to pack a detector and scoop?

Choice is likely going to be the Excal 2 and a stainless Reilly Treasure Gold Scoop so I can hit the surf...

I was thinking one of those hard plastic golf luggage carriers? Airlines? Ship via Fed Ex/UPS?

Any advice appreciated...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headed to Panama City, Panama for a week long vacation at a resort in a few months... lucky me!

Choice is likely going to be the Excal 2 and a stainless Reilly Treasure Gold Scoop so I can hit the surf...

I was thinking one of those hard plastic golf luggage carriers? Airlines? Ship via Fed Ex/UPS?

I have 2 of the hard golf cases, they work well....

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a good case for my GTI-2500 and I believe it will hold the At/Pro, but have no case for my sunspot scoop. I'm concerned about traveling with my gear because the last time I went to Amsterdam in 2007, some of my small stuff was stolen out of my bag and I didn't notice it until I got home and unpacked. I started detecting about a month later and haven't made the trip back, but after watching some of the videos of water hunting in the Netherlands, I sure want to check it out. Someone mentioned the other day sunspot had a travel handle for their scoop. I just wonder if you would come out better renting equipment when you go on a trip, at least overseas. The main thing I wanted to say and I got distracted was have a great trip to PCB, Fl and hope you find some great stuff.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh. PCB. Much can slaw coming your way. :D

Enjoy the trip!

ecoast

Sep 12, 2013
The Highlands of NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, V3i, DeepTech Vista SMART, ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Search 'road case' on eBay, many sizes, many come with foam, you will cut to fit.
Microphone cases are small and somewhat square, many keyboard cases would work as well.( various lengths) Both have an outer shell of hard plastic. Smaller is better when traveling, of course.
They will whack you for oversized on the golf clubs or you will pay for another large piece of luggage...

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
I pack the guts of my Excal in my backpack which I take on the plane with me. The scoop and shaft parts go in my checked baggage. Never had a problem, most of the TSA guys know what they are and are pretty cool with it and ask the age old question "find anything good with it?":laughing7:

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, Sov GT, CZ-21 & Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Like Loothunter said, I pack the controls, coil and headphones in my carry-on, and everything else goes in my check luggage. I have flown with mine all over Asia and North America this year with no problem. I have a sunspot 2 piece travel handle that fit easily into my checked baggage, that has served me well.

Armorer73

Mar 1, 2013
California City, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab X-Terra
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I am heading out to Guam in the morning. This will be the 1st time I am traveling w/ my MD. I don't have a hard case so I bought some bubble wrap and wrapped it up. I then placed it in the middle of my suitcase. I hope it makes the trip! Did you ever hear of a Pelican case? They have many different types of cases but they also make custom ones. You can end them dimensions or even drawings of an item and they will build you a custom case. I will give you an update on my packing job in a couple of days.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions