Best west suit for sniping in CA uear yound?

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: dry suit!!!When I am deep dredging I wear a full length 6 mill with a 6-8 mil farmer John over that.....a lot of years wore it shallow too....I hate being cold

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
:laughing7: dry suit!!!When I am deep dredging I wear a full length 6 mill with a 6-8 mil farmer John over that.....a lot of years wore it shallow too....I hate being cold
I hear ya. My teeth would start to chatter in late September with a Farmer John 7 mill. Of course I went without a hoodie

What ever you get, make sure the elbow and knee areas on the wetsuit are reinforced or they won't last a season.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you can afford the extra cost, dry suit all the way.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya. My teeth would start to chatter in late September with a Farmer John 7 mill. Of course I went without a hoodie

What ever you get, make sure the elbow and knee areas on the wetsuit are reinforced or they won't last a season.

x10!!!!I wore out several suites before I was smart enough to stich/glue reinforced knees in all of mine!!!

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
kuger said:
x10!!!!I wore out several suites before I was smart enough to stich/glue reinforced knees in all of mine!!!

What did u use to reinforce? And you use a wet suit not a dry suit? What style wet suit and millimeter. ? Thanks

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..pieces of suits I have ruined...nope,never could afford a dry suit,and I said above...6 mil with a 6 or 8 mil over that....with a hood...%90 of you body heat escapes through your head

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
russau said:
Buy some strap on knee pads. thats what i use.

Yeah, I have a few pairs of those already, might a well right. Guess my bud shovel humper was right, most of things I née for sniping are already in my garage, lol. Just need a wet suit and a mask/snorkel.. Hood, gloves, boots. Oh lord! More $$$ Ughh

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knee pads for me never stay up,and seems like I am always fighting em?

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take one of your old messed up suits and cut some x-tra padding . Glue on the knees, fore arm etc.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wet suit only for me,farmer john style,hood with a good sized bib,PEE ZIPPER ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY, knee/elbow pads and seperate knee pads for shallow water work. Harbor freight gel knee pads rock my world even with busted up multi operated on knees-John

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info guys, thanks. Do you find you need much extra weight to keep from bobbing like a cork with a farmer john suit in shallow (up to 4' deep or so) but flowing water. I'm 165 lbs with a 7mil suit.

Mike

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am 165 lbs and wear 50 lbs of weight

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Hoser John said:
Wet suit only for me,farmer john style,hood with a good sized bib,PEE ZIPPER ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY, knee/elbow pads and seperate knee pads for shallow water work. Harbor freight gel knee pads rock my world even with busted up multi operated on knees-John

HJ,

I have yet to snipe so I'm trying to visualize everything. Bib? Is that part of the suit? Didn't know I could get a wry suit with a front zipper. Saw one with a little pop openin in the rear, lol.

Love harbor freight for things like this.

Ok, this is gonna sound like a real noob, but I am so f it. If you are working in water deeper than the distance of you arms extended. I assume you just have to hold your breath and be going up and down to snipe? Do u guys use air or am I missing something. All makes sense if you in 1 foot in water. Lol. Lord it ain't easy being me!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO I wouldnt skimp on a suit............you will realize quickly that suits add an extreme amount of buoyancy and if you are going to be working anything deeper than an arms length you will have to have weight,and yes some sort of breathing apparatus other than a snorkel....

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
kuger said:
IMHO I wouldnt skimp on a suit............you will realize quickly that suits add an extreme amount of buoyancy and if you are going to be working anything deeper than an arms length you will have to have weight,and yes some sort of breathing apparatus other than a snorkel....

Thanks Kruger.. Figured.. Yes I'm going to get a nice farmer John wet suit. No skimping allowed. What type of breather do u use. Can't have an engine, so has to be a tank of some sort. Cool deal, thanks.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Hookah...motor,sorry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread