Better than a vial for field storage of flakes/colors

Snarkie

Feb 14, 2011
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this was probaly not the best title, but I hope it made you look.

When panning, we all tend to get a little impurities in our vial, as we touch the color to drop it into the water. At the end of the day, one then has to pick through everything to put it into a "clean" vial. What happens when you try and pour the gold out to separate it? Well, you get water all over the place. I found a simple solution for this:

In the accessory packet of military MREs, you will sometimes find a tiny bottle of Tabasco sauce. Now, it's not in every one, but if you know someone who uses MREs for camping, have them save one for you. These tiny bottles are "shaker" bottles- that is, you cannot pour the sauce out; you must shake it out. This is accomplished with a very small hole in the bottle neck.

While in the field, I put all of my colors into one of these mini Tabasco bottles. At the end of the day, I put out some paper towels, and turn the bottle upside down. Because it is a shaker bottle, the water stays inside, while the gold and other particles fall out. I then use a pair of tweezers and a jewelers loup to pick out the gold and put it into my saving vial.

With this method, you will not have to worry about all the water pouring out and making a mess.

Snark

Upvote 0

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
I think sucker bottles work quite well......makes for a fast clean up.......no wasting time trying to pick up itty bitty tiny pieces...just suck them up....if you cant buy a sucker bottle....any 12 oz water bottle and a good plastic straw will do in a pinch....

JFY......( I know some states DO NOT ALLOW head shops).....but they do have little 1 gram and 3 gram clear vials for penny's.......compared to mining store prices.....

good luck and HH

db

OP
OP
Snarkie

Snarkie

Feb 14, 2011
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These bottles are made for military/battle use. They're as thick as a catsup bottle, but the size of a chili pepper.

Also, I didn't say to store your gold in them; only to capture a day's collection. Turn it over and the water stays inside, while the solids drop out.

Hey, it works for me. I was only trying to share the love... :read2:

DeSey56

Tenderfoot
Nov 23, 2008
Greenwood,SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Snarkie said:
These bottles are made for military/battle use. They're as thick as a catsup bottle, but the size of a chili pepper.

Also, I didn't say to store your gold in them; only to capture a day's collection. Turn it over and the water stays inside, while the solids drop out.

Hey,
I have a son in the Army and I like that Idea. :sign13:
I will get him to save me a couple of these bottles and use them. :icon_sunny: Some of us thank more of their precious gold than to treat it rough enough to break the vials, but, I know that accidents do happen and if it dose you can just reprocess the glass and gold and reclaim the clean gold! :dontknow:
Thanks for the Great idea! Have a cup on me. :coffee2:
DeSey56 :wink:

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Reprocessing the glass and gold doesn't always work so good depending on where you break it. Doug.

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Yes it happens,

I was at the am pm and went for my wallet and my glass vial with a full days work hung up on the wallet and fell on to the tile floor. I used napkins and a plastic bag to recover the loss but never did find the plastic bag in my car , must have gotten thrown out. :dontknow: Also left a glass vial in the car and it froze and popped apart. :tongue3: I now buy plastic vials. Good luck all!!! :headbang: Gravelwasher

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snarkie said:

I have one of the MRE tasco bottles that I have used....Not exactly like you said, but I like the idea!! and will in the future...Since reading this forum I tested my bottle and a good throw to the floor won't break it!! As you said our guys are fighting combat in the ROCKY MTS in Afghanistan, carrying these little "glass" bottles!!

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally take my gold and put it in a vile and put it in a zip lock bag and stick it in a pouch on my ruck sack I use for prospecting. When I get home I take the cork off the vile and tilt the bottle and tap it to get the gold on one side, then I take a modelers bulb sucker, (used to take paint of of bottles for mixing little amounts of paint), and suck out as much water as I can then place the vile in a nice place in my closet that NO ONE has access to and NOTHING will happen to it and let the water evaporate over night.

The next morning all my gold is dry. Then I just dump the gold in my other vile that is a little bit bigger.

I have a bunch of MRE's, I will have to try the tobassco bottle idea.

Hoshnasi

May 2, 2011
Cerritos, Ca.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use sniffer bottles when out on the field. They are cheap and the material is pretty trust worthy in regards to breaks.

mulefour

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2011
McCormick, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion gold stinger
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can get plastic vials at Wal mart, box of 100 for about $10.00.
Look in the wedding supplys dept. they are filled with soapy water for blowing bubbles, just empty and cut the loop off of the stopper.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If anyone has a coin shop near them, they usually sell plastic containers the same size as a roll of pennies, dimes, nickel, etc. that seem to work great for storing gold. Usually $0.50 or less.

James/Ouida

Jan 23, 2012
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the little bottle idea. That being said, anyone know a decent site for bulk MREs? I've noticed prices are goin up as we get closer to 2012.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread