Better than google earth

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
m_sibole said:
This site has better aerials than google earth and it has the most current usgs maps. All of them downloadable in either tiff image or .sid image.
Hmmmm...what is the site?

OP
OP
M

m_sibole

Sep 15, 2007
I use this site at work all of the time. It has tabs on the right hand side that will allow you to toggle from aerials to topo maps. When you find the spot that you want then you click on the download tab on the left and it will open another window where you can dowload either the older black and white aerial, the color aerial or the usgs topo map.

tac512ltd

Aug 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark; Aquavision 2007
Great Info - BUT, what is the site?

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think/believe that m_sibole is talking about Mapquest.com. Yes for my area, Google Earth was not available for rural areas. I can click on Mapquest, add my address (or town) click on aerial (in the upper right corner) then on the left move about...left, right, zoom in or out. It was so clear, in fact in chat one night everyone went on a tour of my property. ;D Yes, they could see the cows grazing in one pasture, we followed the logging road to the river...see the moss hanging from the cypress trees.

A very, very good site...I believe I had posted about under maps or somewhere on the board. I had recently found out about it myself and wanted to share with y'all.

;) RR

OP
OP
M

m_sibole

Sep 15, 2007
Other states have similar sites.

Sorry this site only has Pennsylvania. Other states have similar sites if there is anyone that would like those sites. I can look for them if you tell me what state you are in.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: Other states have similar sites.

m_sibole said:
Sorry this site only has Pennsylvania. Other states have similar sites if there is anyone that would like those sites. I can look for them if you tell me what state you are in.

I was just going to comment back to you that this link was for PA only....do you have a link for VA? I would greatly appreciate it, if not...thank you anyways for trying!

Annmarie

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, M!! I too realized it was for PA only.

;) RR

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That site is amazing.

If it didn't Digitize at about 20 Feet from the Ground,
I'd be able to zoom in on my Bald Spot :D

& the pics are pretty New.

Once I got down to a Clear View of My Jeep,
I kept going but it Digitized.

Wish I could figure out how to Save Images now.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
jeff of pa said:
That site is amazing.

If it didn't Digitize at about 20 Feet from the Ground,
I'd be able to zoom in on my Bald Spot :D

& the pics are pretty New.

Once I got down to a Clear View of My Jeep,
I kept going but it Digitized.

Wish I could figure out how to Save Images now.

Jeff, I have this program I bought several years back (and upgrade when a new one comes out)....it's called SNAG IT....I love that program...

You can scroll save the page, you can just select a region.....you can save your captures in just about any type of file...check it out...I use it all the time for my genealogical research, esp when researching newspapers.

Here's a link to it....all you treasure hunters may like this...

http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp?CMP=KgoogleStmhome

M_S...that link for PA...that is really cool...wish there was one for Virginia!!! :)

Annmarie

OP
OP
M

m_sibole

Sep 15, 2007
Jeff I can email you a program to open the sid file and you can export a jpg image of any place in the downloaded sid image.

I will look and see if virginia has anything like that. Give me a little time and i'll see what I can do for you.

You can download tiff or sid files from that website by clicking on the download imagery tab on the left. then click on the map at the place you want to download it will pop another window up to give you the different options of the aerials or topo.

OP
OP
M

m_sibole

Sep 15, 2007
Virginia's GIS information is by county

It apears as though Virginia's GIS information is divided by county and is not a state wide project. Annmarie if you tell me what county you are you I'll see if I can find the viewer site to download images.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: Virginia's GIS information is by county

m_sibole said:
It apears as though Virginia's GIS information is divided by county and is not a state wide project. Annmarie if you tell me what county you are you I'll see if I can find the viewer site to download images.

Thank you M_Sibole....

I live in what use to be Princess Anne County, now the City of Virginia Beach.

I'd be happy for anything regarding the counties of SURRY, SUFFOLK, NORFOLK.

Chesapeake is now the City of Chesapeake.

Whatever you can locate, I will be happy with...but since we have our second Pipsico Hunt coming up...SURRY would be awesome right now...then I can save the maps for our hunt.

Thank you very very much for doing this!!
Annmarie

OP
OP
M

m_sibole

Sep 15, 2007
Louisiana aerials

Here is a viewer for aerials in Louisiana that you can download tiff or sid files. They as good of resolution as the pa aerials but they are downloadable. Hope this Helps Rat.

http://atlas.lsu.edu/doqq2004/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread