Better than nothing-

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Well... the snow isn't gone yet but I went out looking anyway. First spot I went to was a place where a creek used to run into the Wisconsin river but it is now part of a man made lake... it's only low like this early in the spring and if you get lucky you can sometimes find the site exposed for a couple of days before the water comes back up again- no such luck today, as you can see in the first pic the island is still covered in snow and ice.

So I went to plan B and stopped by an old site- the fields haven't been plowed yet but there is a dirt road that hugs the creek right through the middle of the site so I parked the truck and walked the dirt road, found one large broken Raddatz point but it's heavily damaged.. bad day of arrowhead hunting is still better than a good day at work and at least now I have one find on the books for the year! LOL

Sorry for screwing up the in situ shot.. it would have been classic because there were tire track marks right over the point but I kicked it with my foot thinking it was a big flake before realizing what it was- next time!

Attachments

• atrip1.jpg
    atrip1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 205
  • atrip2.jpg
    atrip2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 198
  • atrip3.jpg
    atrip3.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 214
Upvote 0

Stryker_FO

Feb 22, 2008
White Mountain Lakes
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
true any find is better than nothing..

I cant tell you how many times I have gone out in AZ to my little sweet spots that never fail... only to not find anything of significance. Tons of fun remember its all in the search.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Hey at least you got out. It looks beautiful up there. I like the birch tree. I have never even been to Wisconsin. Do you have an unbroken example of that type?? Thanks for sharing.
Chuck

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I have a couple of display cases in my office here but no more of these.. while looking for an unbroken example though I did find another broken one that came from that same site a couple of years ago though... I'll post it because it's not as heavily damaged and you can better see what they looked like.. in general they are medium to large side notched points. Here's a link with a couple of pictures but I would argue that their example on the right is actually an older version and the example on the left is somewhat atypical in the fact that it's notches are so small... as common as the Raddatz is in Wisconsin I think they could have found better examples.. oh well..
ooops.. forgot the link.. http://www.uwlax.edu/MVAC/PointGuide/raddatzosceola.htm

Attachments

• another.jpg
    another.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 199

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man. That place is beautiful! Great place to hunt and you DID find something. Sounds like a winner to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread