* radical - yet impotent

Chub

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
* radical - yet impotent

Chub

are you familiar with the German philosopher Spengler ?
He has a well known theory describing cultural cycles which does seem generally descriptive.
Feminism, and homosexuality, are identified as cultural climax/post-climax characteristics - nothing new, been happening over and over.
(but it's different this time, yea right)
Obviously both are impotent, a social relief valve (piss tube in a plane, lol).

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
50 years later and the hippies are still pissing people off. That look like success to me. lol

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , Vast difference between Bohemian life styles and street vagrants . Same as educated and indoctrinated . The indoctrinated is your liberty ? TP

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Hi , Vast difference between Bohemian life styles and street vagrants . Same as educated and indoctrinated . The indoctrinated is your liberty ? TP

the bad example is the product of our society - next will be the right to food (which already exists in some countries, CR sad to say)
i.e. someone else will work and their product will be seized and given to someone who does not

This is a prescription for disaster, and one needs to look in the mirror - its not the Russian and its not the Chinese, in fact they are the positive examples - working.
Does anyone remember Horatio Alger Jr. ? How about Atlas Shrugged ? And here one can see clearly, society has shifted from books to TV/movies - literacy down, attention span down, and average intelligence down. How many books in the average house ? (and in your house dear reader ?)

WE no longer hold that men work. Now it's that poor people work, or that more education equals less work, or get on the government tit directly. We have monetized society and more money = more good. We have politicized education and substituted indoctrination for questioning. We have elected a bankruptcy expert to lead us, and he is doing what he does best. The pendulum swings.

Tinpan's observation is correct, hippies of yore did not live on the street or beg. Today those who did not like hippies in the past are only too pleased to use 'hippy' as a term of denigration applied to vagrants, druggies, and thieves. Again we return to education; most really could care less about definitions, its just words to get what they want.

So how can US society get rid of these millions who wish to be supported ?

good luck, I moved to CR . . . and my CR family moved to the US
WTF ? - the world is crazy

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think books were also subject to the same limitations (accuracy , bias etc) as more contemporary literature & written content . Your point about attention span could .. hey look Peter Fonda on a rigid harley

chub

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hippies never begged? Technically that is correct. Why beg when you can just ask, "Hey man, any spare change?"

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say What!!
I was a longhair and my wife and I worked our asses off to buy our first home and send all of our children through college.
All of my children are successful and have great jobs and are quite productive.
I believe in this country and practice my 2nd amendment rights. I’m very patriotic and say my prayers everyday.
We never lived in San Francisco so maybe the Southern hippies were more together and driven than those in the North.
Don’t lump people into one paradigm because, we are all different!

I think you got that exactly right. I remember crossing the street in my small Missouri town and the town drunk staggering in front of the package store yelled, "Damn hippie!" He was a cool guy. I had longish hair and so did a friend. We caught heck from the principle for that. One day he was weaving around in his van gave me and my girl friend a ride, offered us a swig of his cherry vodka, which we accepted of course. We were fourteen. None of us were going anywhere.
Anyone who was rumored to use drugs was considered the worst by we kids. Some of us were just a little rebellious was all.
I've read the hippie movement was corrvupted by people moving in to take advantage of the free "love", among other things.
Some opinion piece.
Not sure exactly what they wanted. Maybe someone can explain the original intent of the hippies.
If they wanted everyone to love one another, maybe stop being a-holes lol, well ask Jesus how that worked out.
Mankind as a rule are predators. Competing for resources,space, wealth.
Wonder if an actual hippie who was there could drop in and try to explain the movement.
Or maybe spread some flower power around?

Last edited:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT="]Q: What did the Deadhead say when he ran out of weed?[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#1A1A1B][FONT="]A: Man, this music sucks![/FONT]

I thought that was funny.

Not sure what drug could make Truckin palatable to me. I would almost rather be shot than listen to that bunch :D
Hope the thread don't get locked. People are so careful not to offend these days. Nice to see a hippie\old guy fight spring up. Been a half century :p

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
hippy was as much spirit as action, originally quite passive
but not into rules, in general - no rules, and it applied to everything (bras -> out, girdles -> forget 'em; good days)

this is a good exercise: everything you see, reverse it (mentally, in your head); and hear, reverse the words - still sane ?

15 years ago I met an old hippy and his old lady, band leader in Fargo,
and they were as if lifted from a book unchanged with grey hair and beard added - amazing, rolling on.

try to apply the word/label more accurately and not as a catch-all for vagrants

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
chub, to add to a previous post

"Were the hippies the forefathers of the extreme left as we know it today?"

interesting question - some really gross leaps

did hippies derive from the folk music interest ? (bluegrass players have always worn overalls)
did feminism derive from hippies ? (was that Stienham woman ever a hippie?)

is radical feminism a political or sexual movement ?
is radical feminism a code for anti-male or lesbian proclivities ? (some sure are)

did the extreme left derive from radical feminism ?
or
did the extreme left incorporate the radical feminists ?

don't know the answers, did not swim in this puddle

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BillA said:
this is a good exercise: everything you see, reverse it (mentally, in your head); and hear, reverse the words - still sane ?

I attempt that exercise frequently. It'll only drive you nuts till you come to understand that there is a duality to near everything.

Like is it hot or cold? Same thing, the amount of energy.

Light or dark? Same thing.

Blue or red? Same thing.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
meditation is very under-appreciated in our society - it is not religious (though a part of some practices)

I find that self-control when things get hairy is similar to the concentration in meditation (slomo, detached perspective)

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad's a Buhdist. For real. If he misses his daily meditation it screws up his personality.

When he get worked up he chants the ancient holy Buhdist mantra- "Ohhhhhssshh$&@!"

For real.

Maybe better than reaching for the bottle? :)

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
meditation is very under-appreciated in our society - it is not religious (though a part of some practices)

I find that self-control when things get hairy is similar to the concentration in meditation (slomo, detached perspective)

Not really a "meditation" type guy but it's wise to take some time to sit and contemplate. It gets more and more relaxing with practice.

I hunt ducks a lot but I don't shoot many. Hardly ever take more than one or two a day. But when you are sitting in a duck blind it's best to keep as still a possible, just let the mind wander in and out of attention. No need to rubberneck looking around. You will hear the ducks before you ever see them. You won't hear them quack though..... ....you will hear their wings whistle...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread