better way to get permission to md someones property

thepoolguy

Jan 17, 2008
ok ..big topic here. most of us think that when a land owner gives you a "no" hes just a pr$%#. most of the time he is just liability scared. example.... in michigan some years back they developed a "hunt program" for farmers. the farmer would sign up with the state and recieve tax rebates for letting people hunt his land. requirements were that the land owner would give written permission to the hunter and keep record of it. the hunter would then, after the hunt, leave a note in a box at the property letting the state know what day he hunted and what game he saw and what game he shot. dnr officers would pick these stats up which helped them manage and tally the herd. all went along fine and worked well for the hunter, farmer and the state untill a hunter got hurt and sued the farmer for unsafe conditions. the farmer was held liable because he had given permission and recieved money in return. example...i rent you a car and there are no brakes. so....what my father as well as other farmers are doing is when someone asks to hunt, snowmobile or even md is to reply with a "no but i dont police the property kicking people off either". we would actually rather have them just go shoot the deer that damage crops or go have fun with the kids on your snowmobile WITHOUT permission. sounds crazy but its true. now im not saying head out tresspassing but to ask in a different manner. one way would be to ask the property owner "would you call the cops and have me shot if you saw me mding on that old homesite over yonder on your property?" chances are you will a laugh and a "no i wont call the cops as im not going to see you". or 2 and way way better would be to have a waiver drafted up by a lawyer ...not too wordy just strait to the point letting them know at no point will you hold them liable or DO DAMAGE TO THE PROPERTY. i think everyone here would be very surprised at how receptive the land owner would be if we did the paper work for them. i mean why should we expect them to take a chance or to spend their money drawing up a contract to protect them from a sue happy society. so...maybe if we have any law orientated members here we could post a genaric waiver here for all to download and use. maybe include in it that you will split the treasure or maybe that you get the coins and they get the herlooms so to speak as i think we have enough buttons, hammers,tools, ect that dont mean alot to us but would be put on the old farmers fireplace mantle so he can tell everyone "thats the hammer old uncle fred built this place with 123 years ago".....means more to him than any old coin..er well....most coins lol. only drawback i think we would find is the same one we are faced with now when we get permission is that youll have a nosey old farmer looking over your shoulder telling you storys behind the site you are hunting as well as solving the worthless mystery items that account for 90% of what we find....THEY WOULD LOVE IT. hope this helps everyone here dave

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
We still have PLOTS here in ND and i have never heard of anyone getting sued. Not saying it couldnt happen though. My rule of thumb is if its posted to leave it alone. But i have actually been run off of not posted land. i didnt quite understand it. i still wouldnt go pushing my luck running around on folks property and run the risk of gettin in a sticky situation.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
good ideas. I mean what's the worst that could happen a door slammed in your face? I get those anyways. will have to give it a try

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have actually had old-town urban demolition project's foreman tell me this: "No, you can't detect here, but..... what I don't see after 5pm, doesn't bother me." Another time, a caretaker near some ghost town ruins came to boot us from detecting. We pleaded and smooched up to him to change his mind (d/t we were finding some old tokens and coins). Turns out he was interested in detecting and sympathetic. But he was only doing his job. After some chit-chat, he says, with a wink: "I get off work at sunset, we never had this talk", and drove off.

Yeah, it presents some wierd dilemas if you are skittish, but if you hear something like that, and if you really want to hit a spot, what are your choices?

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
The best way I know of to get permission is ask nicely . If they say no , beat on them till they say yes . ;D

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't even need a lawyer, write it up yourself.

( I Your name here swear not to sue if you Their name here swear not to sue. )

That's all you need and you both sign and date it.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread