Beveled stemmed point

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was going through some old finds and come across this piece. I havent seen too many stemmed points beveled like this Just wondered if anyone has any similar to it, and any thoughts on it. 0606191842a.jpg 0606191843a.jpg 0606191844.jpg

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Stemmed points with a bevel are not really uncommon. I know I have at least one.

But that that material sure looks like Knife River Flint which would be uncommon for your area.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always attributed that more to "handedness" than to intentional beveling. Sort of a type of accumulated error, like writing in script on unruled paper, starting off pretty straight but running downhill towards the bottom of the page. Bear in mind however, this is just the opinion of a humble commoner.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like that bevel. You did a nice job of getting it to show in the photo. I've got a few beveled pieces, but for some reason my photos don't show the bevel very well.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
T

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the comments on it, Im not very good st all on identifying types of material but Im pretty sure its not knife river flint.Like you said quito its way out of the area where you would find that stuff . I think Tdog may be right. I think most of the stuff I find is made from the local cobbles you find in creeks around here.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always attributed that more to "handedness" than to intentional beveling. Sort of a type of accumulated error, like writing in script on unruled paper, starting off pretty straight but running downhill towards the bottom of the page. Bear in mind however, this is just the opinion of a humble commoner.

Beveling occurs when a piece is sharpened on the same side of each face. This was done to conserve material thus making it last longer. After undergoing many sharpenings in this manner, the knife or point will eventually approach exhaustion and may resemble a drill if it does not meet it's demise otherwise. They may also morph into hafted scrapers.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread