Beware of Fake 1715 fleet Silver 8 reale on Ebay

TNBob

Jan 30, 2008
http://cgi.ebay.com/Spanish-Silver-...goryZ542QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was told by a fleet expert that these coins were mass produced by Weller in the 70s to be sold as souveniers. You can clearly see the cast marks on the edge of the coin and the weight is off. Its a tough one to spot since it is such a well done reproduction. I contacted the seller and asked him to state that it is a reproduction. Ebuyer beware!
TNBob :icon_pirat:

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
took this item in on a trade can not gaurentee the authenticity, do not handle many coins,

Of course he covered his ass with this statement. I wouldn't trust any pawn shop, especially one on Ebay.

Jay

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I can not see why the bid is over $100

the bid is over $100 now!! I feel sorry for who ever buys that!! I bet they think they are getting the real thing!!! that just sucks!!! >:( >:( I hope the bidder gets informed before its too late!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
TNBob said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Spanish-Silver-...goryZ542QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was told by a fleet expert that these coins were mass produced by Weller in the 70s to be sold as souveniers. You can clearly see the cast marks on the edge of the coin and the weight is off. Its a tough one to spot since it is such a well done reproduction. I contacted the seller and asked him to state that it is a reproduction. Ebuyer beware!
TNBob :icon_pirat:
At first glance I thought it was a beautiful cob. But it looks very familiar and is rare to have the date so clear.
I believe you but do have a link stating this replica copy from the 70's?

Attachments

• spanish cob fake weller 1715.jpg
    spanish cob fake weller 1715.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,378
  • spanish cob fake weller front.jpg
    spanish cob fake weller front.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 3,176

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennyweight
A pennyweight (dwt) is a unit of mass which is the same as 24 grains, 1/240th of a troy pound, 1/20th of a troy ounce, approximately 0.055 ounces or approximately 1.555 grams.

Somebody check my math. 1.555 grams x 11.8 dwt = 18.3 grams.

The coin is worn but would still be light. I think it supposed to be over 26 grams for an 8 reale.
This would be too heavy for a 4 reale.

meet the seller http://myworld.ebay.com/ezcashpawnshop2/

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I have seen replicas for sale in catalogs off and on at times, usually for 100.00. The best way to know it is a replica is to find another just like it. From my experience, I think by just looking at it, that the patina is too even for a sea salvaged coin. Maybe if it was lying alone in the sand. Without an origin or certificate, it is kind of doubtful that this is real. If that is the stated weight, it is too light and appears to have lost just a little metal. I just weighed my Potosi 8 real, which is pretty corroded, and it is 19.90 g.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
My Mexico mint 8 reale 1715 fleet cob weighs 26 grams.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Doing a little math with relative densities leads me to believe this might be pewter or a very similar alloy. Pewter is about 69% of pure silver weight for an equivalent volume.

Stan

Boog

Apr 30, 2007
E. Central Indiana
saw some real nice fakes for sale few years back in Ft Lauderdale, they were pewter, they did look nice, but the giveaway, was they were too many of them alike, and too cheap. :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• Beepin_004.jpg
    Beepin_004.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,711

IronClad

Aug 29, 2007
N. Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Silver Eagle, White's Eagle I, White's Eagle II SL, 6000/Di Series 3, Silver Sabre II
Winning Bid: US $306.98 >:( ...hope the seller honors his return policy. I see it being used very soon.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
IronClad said:
Winning Bid: US $306.98 >:( ...hope the seller honors his return policy. I see it being used very soon.
The person who bought it may not realize it for many years.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
bigcypresshunter said:
IronClad said:
The person who bought it may not realize it for many years.
I HAVE SOLD MY "REAL" COBS FROM THE 1600'S FOR 1/3 THAT PRICE!!! THATS TOO BAD SOME ONE PAID HARD EARNED CASH FOR THAT!!

drivenbytime

Sep 11, 2010
I do understand TNBob's fears of buying a replica, but to use my father in the same sentence without checking the source is unfathomable. Dad sold the reproduction of coins company called Sunken Treasures from Florida in 1970 to a man in Miami. The picture of the piece of 8 was not ours.

SpanishMain

Sep 11, 2010
I believe Daniel Sedwick's cob website-www.sedwickcoins.com has this fake cob in his database of fakes. It is probably a good idea to consult with sites like this when questioning authenticity...

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter XL500 (PI)
SpanishMain said:
I believe Daniel Sedwick's cob website-www.sedwickcoins.com has this fake cob in his database of fakes. It is probably a good idea to consult with sites like this when questioning authenticity...

Your observation is correct. This was pointed out by Dr. Sedwick in the past and you are very correct about collectors needing to read these studies. He catalogued this as #FC53639 and stated the following:

"Another one supposed to be from the 1715 Fleet, and seems to be a pretty good fake till you see its litter-mates (and they always seem to be mounted...) As a further note on this one, seller 2006edgec sold this coin as genuine even though he had been told (and shown) that it was fake, so you might want to avoid his offerings in the future. Other coins has [sic] been offered as "Treasure coins" all fakes as well." (Daniel Frank Sedwick, Ph.D.)

His web site for counterfeits is:

http://www.sedwickcoins.com/fake_cobs.htm#list

The photo that Dr. Sedwick provided of this coin mounted is below......(Chumley told me the far left photo is a good view of the coin above).

I truly feel that Mr. Weller had nothing to do with this coin...he had far too many successes and finds, and loved the "Galleon Hunt" far too much to taint his name with reproductions meant to be sold as genuine. Once again it is unscrupulous people looking to make a fast buck.

goldcoastwayne

Attachments

• Wm8r1715J_1.jpg
    Wm8r1715J_1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Chum.JPG
    Chum.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,009

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread