Beware of Post Office thieves

digluv

Dec 7, 2009
NOTE: See my next post because I changed my mind about who took my silver Spanish cob. Now I think it was a postal employee.

I've sold coins on ebay for about 10 years now. I just lost a bunch of money due to a con buyer. This is not the first time this has happened. I mail my coins so that the package must be cut to open. They won't tare due to being covered with super strong clear tape that can't be torn open by hand or machine without the entire package being destroyed. And too the package inside is such that to get the coin out one must cut the entire package apart which would render it impossible to travel through the postal system.

This morning I got a message from a buyer telling me he received the package but it was torn open and the coin missing. He had to say he got the package because it was certified delivery.

So, I lose $$ and the buyer wins. It does no good to fight it. All I'd end up with is negative feedback and Paypal would force me to refund his money plus warn me for being a bad boy.

I'm getting out of selling on ebay. The rules there give the buyers all the protection and the sellers have none. Postal insurance for coins is worthless, I've already been down that road.

S

seger98

Re: Beware of ebay coin thieves

I feel your pain, been down that road too. Got out of Ebay when it started going down hill a few years back.

I always said that computers were starting to get alot cheaper so now more of the low life's can afford them & start scamming people.

Flea markets & coin shows is where I go to buy & sell.

OP
OP
D

digluv

Dec 7, 2009
Re: Beware of ebay coin thieves

seger98 said:
I feel your pain, been down that road too. Got out of Ebay when it started going down hill a few years back.

I always said that computers were starting to get alot cheaper so now more of the low life's can afford them & start scamming people.

Flea markets & coin shows is where I go to buy & sell.

Thanks for the good words.

Update: After communicating with the buyer I'm now convinced it was taken by a postal employee. My wife told me she read where postal employees have been caught putting mailing addresses on parcels so they'll be sent to their personal addresses.

I guess there's now a giant problem with theft in the U.S. postal system. Everything the government gets their hands into gets screwed up.

In the future I plan to use UPS for all larger mailings and Priority Mail (larger box) for small items. I have never had a Priority box stolen (yet).

Well, see.

digluv

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread