Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I have discovered about doing away with some of the chatter and seemingly increasing depth of detection on the 202 is to make sure you reverse one of the batteries in the battery compartment. One battery should be with it's top towards the outside and the other with its top turned to be towards the inside of the machine. Give it a try. Cheers!

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I have discovered about doing away with some of the chatter and seemingly increasing depth of detection on the 202 is to make sure you reverse one of the batteries in the battery compartment. One battery should be with it's top towards the outside and the other with its top turned to be towards the inside of the machine. Give it a try. Cheers!

That's curious if true. I have a 505 which is just a upgraded 202. I can't understand why it would make an improvement but I'll try anything so thanks for the tip.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed. DC circuitry is designed to utilize voltage effectively by design, especially when dropped to travel through Integrated Circuits (IC Chips). I'm sure there is some diode protection from accidental polarity reversal (wrong way battery insertion). If I had to guess, the reason you don't get chatter it because you are not using the effective voltage, therefore a substandard amount is causing a less sensitive detector. There is a POT that does the same thing effectively.

I used to have people trying to change my engineered designs with monkey rigging. And in the Fire Alarm business, it was a matter of life safety. Used to p#@& me off.

daemon1971

Sep 23, 2012
southeast mi
Detector(s) used
pioneer 202, gamma 6000, Garrett ATPro, tesoro vaquero
My 202 takes two 9 volt batteries, the connectors are on wires, with enough slack to turn one upside down in the compartment after they are connected properly to the batteries...... I think that is what the OP might have been referring to. Not hooking up the batteries to the wrong poles or anything like that.

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 202 takes two 9 volt batteries, the connectors are on wires, with enough slack to turn one upside down in the compartment after they are connected properly to the batteries...... I think that is what the OP might have been referring to. Not hooking up the batteries to the wrong poles or anything like that.

I think you are correct in what he meant. Simply attaching the batteries with one connection side facing up and the other down.

OP
OP
Slingshot

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, one battery should be upside down. Digital circuitry - jeesh - analog was so simple.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Weird. I'm trying to think how the batteries are turned effects the unit. It sounds like saying "if I turn my car battery 180 in it's shelf, my car runs smoother"

Oh well.:dontknow:

OP
OP
Slingshot

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, weird is right. I got that straight from the operators manual that comes with the 202 that nobody reads or comprehends what they are reading, but it does work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread