mrauditor

mrauditor

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS
Ok guys:

Nobody has a thought or comment on this question ? Is it not worth answering ?

Thanks.

FelixtheCat

Jan 24, 2008
Miami
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 / Tesoros Deleon & Sand Shark
I would love to help you but I don't know enough about either of those two. I have a Discovery 3300 and I think it's great!

OP
OP
mrauditor

mrauditor

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS
Felix:

I do appreciate the response. I was beginning to think I was talking to myself.

Thanks.

OP
OP
mrauditor

mrauditor

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS
Thanks, Nick. Any further clarification ?

I appreciate it.

Digum

Jul 24, 2008
I have two Discovery 3300's. After I bought my first, I got rid of allot of expensive MDs that won't do what it will. It's light weight, good discrimination, you can hunt right up against chain link or most metals, hunt old homeplaces in all metal or go to the park and discriminate out anything less than a quarter if you want, great pinpoint, runs forever on batteries. I haven't owned the SS II but if I remember corectly, the 3300 has an extra feature or two. I think that's what made my decision between the two. And I think the 3300 costs less. Check them out, apples to apples, $ to $. The SS II has a better written warranty but don't let that worry you. I'm never concerned about a BH warranty. BH will take care of you. Great people to deal with. I doubt you'll ever have a problem with the 3300, I haven't. If you get one you can buy your second one with the money you sell your Sovereign for. Digum

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While I am VERY MUCH a rookie. I will add that in my 10 or so outings (8 beach and 2 parks) I am very happy with my SS II. I am still learning what it is telling me but it is VERY consistent so far. I don't have anything to compare it to other than a cheapo MD I used 20+ years ago and never seriously then. I had an uncle that used a Whites ???? (looked like a vegetable can mounted to a metal stick) and that is what attracted me to the hobby.

I am hunting beaches in Brazil. Therefore all of my coin finds are always different than what is indicated on the display. Almost all are low tones. I have found a couple of pieces of small silver and they registered correctly.

The SS II seems to work okay at the waters edge and in wet sand. But then again, I can't compare it to anything else because I haven't used one and I am the only person I have seen on the beach with a MD. There is a story here in Rio that a man feeds his family on the gold he finds using a net in the surf on Ipanema and Copacabana. I have yet to find gold but I am optimistic as I learn what my SS II is telling me. I know it is quite accurate in dry sand and I find a lot of coins.

Imported MDs are very expensive here and I paid almost twice what an SS II would cost me in the US. I still think it is lightweight and very functional. At the price I apid it is a good thing that this is a hobby and not a vocation! :-)

Good luck with your choice.

Tim

OP
OP
mrauditor

mrauditor

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS
Thanks, Top, for the comments on the SS II. It sounds like it does you just fine. I have never been to Rio, but I bet it is gorgeous.

Thanks.

godmarc

Aug 6, 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quicksilver
Well I'm pretty new to metal detecting myself and I have the BH Quicksilver. It's been good to thus far for the three weeks I have had it. I think it's a pretty basic metal detector it shows what kind of metal you may have found and you can discriminate the different metals and thats basicly it. It does have three levels of strength at which you can detect. I haven't found anything significant yet just about ten dollars in change but thats better than nothing.

godmarc

FelixtheCat

Jan 24, 2008
Miami
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 / Tesoros Deleon & Sand Shark
Digum said:
runs forever on batteries.

You're talking about the Bounty Hunter Dsicovery 3300 when you say this? ???

I don't agree at all but since I have rechargeables it's a moot point.

Digum

Jul 24, 2008
I tried the rechargeables too. Trying to save money like we all do. They didn't run as long. And I don't feel like the MDs performed as well. I found that the rechargeables I used had something in common with the Rayovacs and Dollar Generals. After using them, and then putting in new higher quality batteres, the battery connections were a little loose. And that's with AAs and 9 volts too. Enough to cause problems. Does this mean some batteries are slightly longer? I have no way of measuring that close, but they sure loosened up my connections. I tightened the battery connections and had no problems with better quality batteries. If you haven't already, try a set of Coppertops or Everetties and you may see a longer battery life and better MD performance.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
My buddy got a 3300 and at first look I thought it was a piece of junk, but it performed surprisingly well. The ground balance works the opposite of most detectors, and it doesn't have much of a fine adjustment, but he made some good finds with it. And it flat out eats batteries like nothing I've ever seen. But it's a pretty good all around detector, especially for the money. By the way, all 9 volts are not equal in size.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions