BH quick silver

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if I did my reviews very well. My situation is that I bought a cheap Harbor Freight 9 function Metal Detector over a year ago. Decided I love the hobby, but not avid about it on a weekly/daily basis. I love silver coins but have not found any yet with my metal detector but probably found 10 bucks in change so far including wheat pennys. Been a good little unit for 30 bucks in my mind. Anyway I wanted to buy a second unit that may be better then what I have and digital that won't get the wife upset at me for breaking the bank. I feel that I didn't research enough and may made a mistake of buying a Quicksilver on eBay yesterday. Of course, now that I bought it, I find mix feelings on this unit. Will I be pacifically be looking for coins, "NO". Recently within the last few days, I discovered some history in my area plus I live on some midwest rivers that contain trails from wagon trains. If I can find permission from land owners, I like to look for relics there in my spare time. I have seen some statements that the Quicksilver can detect large metal up to 3', is this true. I also seen statements that this unit is only good for detecting coins up to 3 inches in soil. My 9 function has found clad quarters up to 6 inches so far. Since I am stuck with this Quicksilver now, would I benefit from a coil upgrade? If so any recommendations.

Mike

OP
OP
S

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a 10 inch magnum coil for 60 bucks. Would the Quicksilver compare to like a garret 250 after this upgrade possibly?

OP
OP
S

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went ahead and got the 10 inch coil. Hopefully it will do ok. My boy is getting into this to, so maybe for his birthday he will get this unit and I will get the garret 350 possibly. But I will have to wait awhile to make this big purchase.

WayneCountyDetector

Jul 25, 2012
Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have BH quicksilver and was testing it in the yard the other day. I could find a dime at about 5-6". Haven't did much testing with it other than that so far. Hope this helps

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are those that like the Bounty Hunters but they are limiting themselves to the amount of good finds and fun they can have. Many that buy them want to upgrade. However upgrading isn't for everyone as you soon learn there are many more targets out there beyond the shallow ones available to the lower cost detectors. But fun is where you find it. You would do well to get the major brands mid level detectors in the first place and save you self some time and aggravation.

WayneCountyDetector

Jul 25, 2012
Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman is right, I bought my BH with the intent to eventually buy a better machine IF I enjoyed metal detecting / actually found time to get out and do it enough that I could justify the cost of a decent machine. That's why my BH quicksilver was the perfect machine for me. I got it and a pinpointer for $100 and so far have had a lot of fun finding old bullet casings, a few old coins (not many yet) best being a 1965 dime. 1 year off! A few old 1800-1900 nails and some trash metal. I have only went on 2 outings and probably only have about 5-6 hours of time actually metal detecting. So far even though I think I am enjoying it enough to cough up the extra money for a different machine I am still happy with my BH purchase because it will make a good backup or 2nd detector for a friend to come along and if it didn't work out and I didn't enjoy it as much I would only be out $100 bucks. So I wouldn't regret your purchase too much. Just my .02

OP
OP
S

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I go thru my yard and find more coins or trash relics then that HF detector I will be pleased with purchase and the magnum coil should improve the unit somewhat. Which will give me time to reseach and save for the big purchase next year. I know I will miss pinpointing on the bounty compared to the HF.

OP
OP
S

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I got my BH today, open the package and it was missing a manual and the pin pointer. Disappointment for the weekend, but I talk to the sales rep and according to them they will reimburse me fully on the item without sending the BH back to them. Can you believe that. When I see it I will. So if this happens, maybe I can hock the bounty hunter and 10 inch coil online and maybe get a good 200-300 dollar unit or just wait. I did take the unit out for test run and did find a dime and penny in my yard 3" deep. I do like how easy you can discriminate to coins only, but targeting stinks. The 10 inch coil seem not to help with dept on the air test. But I will test it out on the lawn later when it cools down.

EMF

Dec 3, 2012
Corbin, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, Tesoro Compadre 5.75" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a video on YouTube where a guy took one of these QuickSilvers and converted it to an underwater detector. He said it was the best cheapo to use for it with the 3 audio tones. Was a neat conversion with parts from local hardware store.

Here's the first one, there are like 6 videos showing how he did it...

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i got a pioneer ex this month, same as yours but without the headphone jack. will pick up dimes and quarters to 6". picked up an axe head buried 1.5' deep. just practice xing your spot and you can pinpoint within a couple of inches. have never dug a hole wider than my garden trowel even to the 1.5' hole where the axe head was, but it was in river sand. the ones costing 300 dollars will only go about 8". its like real estate, location,location

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread