BH Time Ranger vs Fisher F4

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
If you're talking about buying new, someone might be able to make a comparison. If used, the Bounty Hunter Time Ranger has been improved 3 times, so there could be quite a variation.

The Fisher F4 I have, ground balance only works in all metal & think the older Time Ranger I had was the same way. My ground is highly variable & it is hard to detect anything beyond 4-5" & to get an accurate ID beyond 3"-4". My deepest coins ever about 7" & this is only possible in about 1% of the ground I detect.

The Garrett Ace 250 isn't a bad detector for just over $200 new/$150 used. It will ID coins down to 4" here, 6"+ in some soils. For over $500 new there are better choices, but that may be about as good as any under $500.

The Fisher F4, while I'm selling mine to get a more expensive detector, is OK for the price. The optional 10" coil is under $60 & will cover somewhat more area & maybe go a bit deeper.

Maybe others can add to this. Good luck & happy hunting, George (MN)

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
TG 77, sorry I just noticed you got the Ace 250. The real truth I think is that there are a huge number of detectors out there that in most soils, have about the same abilities. If one is an improvement over another, it's likely half an inch to two inches & not double or triple the depth that some mfrs, dealers, or users might claim.

The size of the searchcoil is a significant factor in depth. I had a White's M6 with 12.5" Jimmy Sierra Hot Shot concentric coil & stupidly sold it. It amazed me the way it picked up & IDed coins on edge & even got tiny gold jewelry from a hard hunted area. An M6 & larger coil would be maybe $600-650 used. Ditto for the Minelab Explorer II, one of the deepest ID machines in most soils, but with an extensive menu & complexity compared to the simple M6. HH, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions