BHID

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked one up yesterday, not a mark on it. Was hoping to get some time in with it, but Fri was too cold, and were heading back home today so maybe fool with it in the lake. Any tips for this machine, I have been huntin with a D.F. for 4 years now, just looking to not dig so much iron, and cherry pick certian places.

Upvote 0

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked one up yesterday, not a mark on it. Was hoping to get some time in with it, but Fri was too cold, and were heading back home today so maybe fool with it in the lake. Any tips for this machine, I have been huntin with a D.F. for 4 years now, just looking to not dig so much iron, and cherry pick certian places.

You won't dig iron for sure but doesn't have a very deep depth rating either. It's a VLF machine
And I've owned one before and did well with it but needed more punch for depth. Maybe an 1/8 of what your dualfield can reach!
Sold mine off and was kind of missing it after!
Great dry sand machine.
Good Luck with it!

image-3960001717.jpg

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The BHID is a dual-frequency VLF. It is killer deep on all but the most mineralized beaches ( like some west coast areas). It will kick serious butt in Florida.
If you are going into the water, make sure your machine has the updated orange 'O' ring as the older style black rings were known to leak.
The depth of the BHID really suffers in discriminate mode, so try not to use discriminate as your main search mode.
The BHID gives visual target ID in all metal, so stick with all metal.
I have found the target ID to be quite accurate...if it shows "red", the target will have significant iron content.
If you are cherry picking for gold, you can ignore "green" targets, as these will always be high conductors.
It takes some discipline to leave high conductive targets (probably coins) behind, but on a busy beach with tons of targets, it can be a useful tool for maximizing your time.
One caveat to the target ID readings: if the target flashes yellow...at all...even if not consistently, you should probably dig. The BHID resets very quickly and this could indicate gold next to iron or a high conductor.
Don't get hung up on trying to keep the BHID perfectly ground balanced.
The BHID is a finicky machine, and is not for everyone, but properly set-up it is VERY deep.
This is a seriously underrated detector. In the right hands it can rival an Excal for depth, coil for coil.
Use it in all metal and just think of it as a pulse detector that happens to have visual target ID.

Almost forgot...an interesting use for the discriminate mode with the BHID is as a rough depth estimator.
Run the machine in all metal, when you have a target, switch to discriminate. If the target disappears in discriminate, it is probably quite deep. If the target stays detectable, it is probably shallow.
A target that flashes yellow in all metal and disappears in discriminate has a good chance of being deep gold.

Here is Andy Sabish's method for "super tuning" the BHID:

The tune sets your BHID in all metal mode operation with no audio disc but remember the lights will still work

(1) Turn on the BHID & go through the normal set up ( steps 2 thru 4)

(2) Set Sens. to pre-set with mode switch in disc mode.

(3) Turn threshold control to faint threshold.

(4) Set mode switch to all-metal mode & ground balance machine normally.

(5) After ground balancing& while still in all metal, turn the sens. to MAX. The threshold will change to a high shrill.

(6) Hit the reset to return to a normal threshold.

(7) Return to all-metal mode & re - do the ground balance. There will be a narrower window within which to balance at this time.

(8) Leave the mode switch in all metal mode & begin hunting. There will be a marked improvement in depth.

(9) Note: There will no longer be tone identification between the targets. However, the target identification lights will still be accurate.

Last edited:

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jolly Mon excellent post. I had one and dug
some deep stuff with it,very underrated machine.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't dig iron for sure but doesn't have a very deep depth rating either. It's a VLF machine
And I've owned one before and did well with it but needed more punch for depth. Maybe an 1/8 of what your dualfield can reach!
Sold mine off and was kind of missing it after!
Great dry sand machine.
Good Luck with it!

View attachment 924640
My VLF machine hits a lot deeper than 4 to 7 inches.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My VLF machine hits a lot deeper than 4 to 7 inches.
Yeah if I remember correctly I think I dug some 8-12" targets with my beach hunter 300 iD I liked it a lot and a hunting buddy talked me into a pi and I wasn't happy digging all that iron so I missed it! Found 7 rings 8 days out in the dry and wet sand.
I didn't say it can't detect deep I said it doesn't have a deep depth rating

OP
OP
S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still to be seen, but I already have a DF I am tired of digging sparklers.... The depth is covered... ask the wifey...

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an old BHID that I bought off of Ebay back in 2006 that came with the stock 9.50 coil. I really loved that old machine, and found some really neat stuff with it, up until I upgraded to an Excal II. As far as depth is concerned with the BHID, mine had no problems finding rings and coins down to about 12" or a little deeper in good ground conditions. It was a little finicky in some situations in the surf, but when I got it dialed in, and the conditions were stable, the BHID was no slouch whatsoever. I had some really fine times with mine, just get to know it, and yours will show you some good times too.

Last edited:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I had an old BHID that I bought off of Ebay back in 2006 that came with the stock 9.50 coil. I really loved that old machine, and found some really neat stuff with it, up until I upgraded to an Excal II. As far as depth is concerned with the BHID, mine had no problems finding rings and coins down to about 12" or a little deeper in good ground conditions. It was a little finicky in some situations in the surf, but when I got it dialed in, and the conditions were stable, the BHID was no slouch whatsoever. I had some really fine times with mine, just get to know it, and yours will show you some good times too.
Agreed!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh?: "I didn't say it can't detect deep I said it doesn't have a deep depth rating"

Last edited:
OP
OP
S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure it will suit my needs, I dug up a load of old fire cans out on the shore. I need to learn the tones more, but I know theres more to dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions