Biaxle coil vs. DD

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quoting Dave Johnson from FTP they are wired differently and not interchangeable. The DD/Biaxial coils for the G2 will work on any of the Greek series like the Omega, Delta, etc. Also the Gold Bug Pro which is essentially a G2 and I think the F5 Fisher is the almost twin of the Omega.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jimbog said:
Quoting Dave Johnson from FTP they are wired differently and not interchangeable. The DD/Biaxial coils for the G2 will work on any of the Greek series like the Omega, Delta, etc. Also the Gold Bug Pro which is essentially a G2 and I think the F5 Fisher is the almost twin of the Omega.
Great post Jim!

OP
OP
drybones48

drybones48

Apr 20, 2009
Cuyahoga Falls, Oh
Detector(s) used
CZ21 CZ3D Tesoro Cortez
The question wasnt answered, whats the difference between a biaxle coil and a dd coil, not if there interchangeable

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Biaxle is another name for DD coil if I'm not mistaken.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
drybones48 said:
Whats the difference between the T2 Biaxle coil and the G2 with the DD. Are they the same coils

You asked if they were the same coil. That was answered. If you want to know the generic difference in DD and Biaxial coils, they are the same and other companies may use other terms like Widescan. The other common coil type is a concentric like the 10" on the Omega. The shape of the coil does not tell you how the wiring is wound inside the coil.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Biaxial is just the First Texas trademark name for its DD coils but there's a bit of a minefield on general terms with all Triaxial's seeming to be concentrics and "Widescan" is no indication of a DD as Whites produced a widescan that was in fact a concentric some years back.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't believe anything on the internet. Minelab use three coil types, Double D, Concentric and Monoloop. There's then a few tweaks so you can have either round or elliptical in both mono and DD designs.

There's a few weird coil "hybrid" designs been used in Europe. The U.S. always seems to lag behind. For years people asked for DD coils for their Whites detectors. One U.S. dealer published that Whites said DD's would not work on the likes of the Classic's, IDX/IDX Pro etc meanwhile in Europe they were being produced and used.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While I understand companies use marketing jargon, it's funny that they don't keep it straight on their own coils. Look at the Teknetics flyer's, then a dealer web site, then the accessories pages at Teknetics or Fisher. Same coils, different descriptions as far as DD, biaxial, etc. I would feel better as a consumer if there was a standard. I'm really put off by dealers charging one price for a given Teknetics coil and then charging a different price for the exact same Fisher coil. I just sampled one of the sponsors here I see a couple of Fisher coils are $7-$10 cheaper than the equivalent Teknetics coils. I know Fisher and Teknetics sort of operate independently, but really now. I think they should put both lines of coils at the same price. It just seems more fair to customers.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More information but still not quite correct. Everyone should get out and experiment. This also ignores that concentrics can be used in line thus you can have a concentric thats 18"x3", 14"x4" etc.

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimbog said:
While I understand companies use marketing jargon, it's funny that they don't keep it straight on their own coils. Look at the Teknetics flyer's, then a dealer web site, then the accessories pages at Teknetics or Fisher. Same coils, different descriptions as far as DD, biaxial, etc. I would feel better as a consumer if there was a standard. I'm really put off by dealers charging one price for a given Teknetics coil and then charging a different price for the exact same Fisher coil. I just sampled one of the sponsors here I see a couple of Fisher coils are $7-$10 cheaper than the equivalent Teknetics coils. I know Fisher and Teknetics sort of operate independently, but really now. I think they should put both lines of coils at the same price. It just seems more fair to customers.

I wonder why a 11" DD coil for an F70/75 is $40+ more than a 11" DD coil for an F2. There can't be that much more copper to account for that difference.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
You all forgot about co-axial coils, AKA tri-axial coils, AKA "best cherry-picking coils", AKA "stacked coils"; Two central receiving windings with a transmitting winding in between, AKA (questionably called) three planes. All three planes are the same diameter.

DD's and co-planars are BOTH co-planars, DD's with different shapes/configurations, both types on one single plane.

LL,
AKA EasyMoney

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions