BIBLE CAMP FOUNDATION FOUND

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
6 weeks, twice a week, 4 -6 hours each hunt. I got it now.

For more background see my other posts. In a nutshell: searching for bible camp location that closed in late 40?s early 50?s. 1300+ acres of very difficult woods, hills, eskers. All my info was word of mouth, have not found anything yet on web or with library research. Info said a foundation existed where the camp was. I found it and also found out they had a small pool which is now ? full of debris and trash.

Took day off of work, (an obsession).

Found it on my second search area today. Only spent a bit over an hour at the site. Started checking out surrounding area, seems loaded,; and this is just around foundation and pool. I'll be spending a lot more time out there searching, (but I've got the location now), it is only about 20 min into the woods from the road.
I got lucky and stumbled across it.

PHOTOS: 2) Foundation.
1)Some bottles, one on left is older, blue had screw top thus not that old;
Glob is two bottles fused together and melted, so they had a fire.
4)more bottles; metal steer head.
3) Handsome guy with old bike frame; note large tree which grew in
center of foundation. It has been awhile
Also note bike kick stand; I do not remember a
kick stand being on rear wheel, always just behind pedals.

Will post more as I scout the area the next few months.

all have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Attachments

• foundation2.jpg
    foundation2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 528
  • foundation1.jpg
    foundation1.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 525
Upvote 0
OP
OP
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
more pics

S

Attachments

• foundation4.jpg
    foundation4.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 510
  • foundation3.jpg
    foundation3.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 507

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Cool finds! Im sure that there is mroe out there ;) Any ideas on what that steer head is? its a great find...Also what is the bottle on the bottom left, it looks interesting, the one on the right looks really modern has anyone else been there since?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOOKS like a VERY intresting SITE.

HAPPY HUNTING !

Jeff

OP
OP
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jake,

yes I think the bottle on the right is not that old, but, not sure how old. " Berry Bros & Redd Ltd, London, England"; did a quick web search and found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6195255484&category=13912

They are asking $5.00.

The other bottle has "PO DO" several times along the side of the bottle; went for quick search on web and, could be some nasty stuff used for wart removal, but it seems to large for that type of product, looks more like a cold cream or something like that.

have a good un..............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
congratulations on the camp site discovery. you have really been doing your leg work on this one and it payed off! now...........for the spectacular finds that have got to be there! this site is so secluded that ill bet it is a virgin site. i cant wait to see how you do with it.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SHERMAN!!!!!

YOU FOUND IT!!!!

Way ta GO!!!! Wow! Now that you got the hard part over........

You gonna have lots and lots a fun!!!

Really nice finds! I'm looking forward to what you find next out there!!!!

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
LOL ?- ? Quote - ? "6 weeks, twice a week, 4 -6 hours each hunt. " ? ? and... ? ?"I got lucky and stumbled across it."

Great job tracking the place down! Best of luck.

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
That's awesome Sherman!? You might want to read the Poison Ivy thread if you're diggin in the woods like that.? :)? I know a promising place that became overgrown with timber around here.? I got poison ivy there in 1999 and haven't been back.? Good luck...

Oh yeah, on my first and only trip all I found was foundations and bottles.......... :o

OP
OP
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Hollow,
"virgin" since when. That would be nice but I know better. Others have used it as a dump since closing (swimming pool full of stuff; also one of the persons who knew something of the site was an old coin shooter who hit it about
30 years ago. Don't know what recent history is, I'm confident it will hold some small treasures.

Yes it was some leg work and the funny thing is I'm more excited about finding it than of what I may be pulling
out. THE EXCITEMENT IS IN THE HUNT.

Jake,
not a screw cap, small bit of foil; it is a cork bottle.

Nana, Jeff, Jonster,

thanks.

Sugar,

for some reason that stuff never bothered me.

all of you have a good un
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
well hopefully that guy didnt tell too many of his friends! detectors 30 years ago were rather limited as well. hopefully it hasnt been hit too hard by guys with modern technology! good luck!

SparklyStuff

Jul 14, 2005
;D That's great you found it! Can't wait to see what all you find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Podo'phyllotoxin was first used for tumors in the 40's, so that may be the correct size jar for use at a compounding pharmacy.(before it's more common use on "those kind" of warts)

OP
OP
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Sparkly,

don't even want to go there with "those kind" of warts.

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

OP
OP
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
footnote,

about two weeks ago I posted: URINAL IN THE WOODS

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,18728.msg120931.html#msg120931

On that hunt I came in from the S/W of the 1300+ acres, today I came in from the North.

That urinal must be from the camp. I was putting in the coordinates, I keep with my GPS, tonight and realize if I would have taken two more turns on the path and gone about 150-200 yards I may have found the foundation two weeks ago.

Interesting to me; keep those GPS coordinates if your working the woods, they help in working an area and covering an entire site.

S

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
Good Luck, looks like an interesting site and thanks I have been trying to think of the name of a bible camp that I went to many yrs. ago and remembered it when I was reading your post

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Congrats on finding the site, Good work/Fun...
Should be very interesting to see what you find there.
If you didn't find anything else, it wouldn't be all bad, that Steer head looks awesome...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

DiggerDude101

Apr 19, 2005
Hey Sherman

Some one stole your wheels off your bike. Looks like they stripped it pretty good.

GPS coordinates really help when your hunting underwater sites...... ;D

Great finds. Keep us posted.

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Congrat on finding the site Sherman. Like someone said thats half the battle. Those are the type of sites I like to do in October and November. Less bugs, less leaves, less weeds. Good luck. Keep us informed...Lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread