BIG 1800s silver!!!!

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
greetings!

i had an unexpected GREAT day today! i still can't believe it.

i headed out to corona/riverside this morning to have breakfast with my in-laws, then lunch with my sister. after lunch i headed over to an old riverside park where i have found tons of oldies in the past. i managed four wheats in about an hour, but i wasn't feelin' it so i hit the road back to dana point. on the way back home i decided to stop off at a super-old park where my buddies and i have all found great coins. so far from this park i have gotten: an 1866 nickel three cent, two seated dimes, a barber quarter, a few barber dimes and all the rest of the usual teens to sixties silver and wheats. dan got his seated half from this park. it's beat to death, but it's good for an oldie every now and then.

lately i have been hitting the same old areas we have all been over and over and over. today was no different. i was hunting a small meadow where jayson, riverside mark and myself have all gotten seated dimes. it's tough now, but i managed a 10s wheat and a '17 merc on the last couple of trips. today i was hunting near one of the park buildings under an old oak tree and got a good signal. i didn't even look at the meter to see the depth...i really didn't even pay too much attention to the signal at all before digging. i just heard it and started plugging. i got down about five inches and put the probe in and i knew it was a coin. i was excited because usually coins at that depth or deeper in this area are old. i started scraping dirt away little by little with my index finger, trying to see a coin edge. well, i did and it was silver! upon closer inspection i could see it was a barber quarter! i was stoked. i called (in no particular order- soory val!) dan...no answer. then i called jayson...no answer! then i called val...bingo! i told him i had a quarter and i wanted someone on the phone with me when i dig it out. well, i popped it out and i saw that it was bigger than a quarter- it was a BARBER HALF!!!! my first! an 1898s. i said some colorful words into the phone and into val's ear! i can't believe that coin was missed by all of us. it was an obvious signal.

anyway, i hunted all around the area but nothing else, not even a wheat. here are the pics. (the area on the reverse that looks scratched isn't scratched. it's the edge that i first saw- i rubbed it clean while it was still in the hole.)

thanks for looking and good luck out there!

HH,

Mike

Attachments

• DSC_0811 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_0811 (Medium).JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,205
  • DSC_0812 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_0812 (Medium).JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,197
Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice

I love barber halfs. I've seen it happen before. Been over a spot a million times and a half suddenly appears.

HH Jer

oahu90

Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Thats an awesome find, my first day MDing every was just last week and i found one of these, talk about beginners luck.

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW ~ VERY nice find there man! CONGRATS!

8^)

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Congrats on a nice piece of big silver!! Always love those silver halves!!

Cobalt*Blue

Oct 9, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Bounty Hunter 3300 w/4" coil
Hi Mike. Very good story and pictures. Great Find! I have done the same thing recovering a silver coin. If you decide to gently clean the rest of the coin you can eliminate the rub mark. Beautiful find. hh blue

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
What a fantastic find. A great Big Silver of a find if I ever saw one, :thumbsup:.

Thanks for posting and keep it coming :icon_sunny:.

S

seger98

Congratulations on the barber half, still looking for my first! :thumbsup:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Spectacular dig right there. That had to be sweet seeing that baby in the ground. Congrats and hope you dig more real soon. jgas

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Very nice find :thumbsup:

Need one myself

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a beauty, for sure.

Top Member Reactions