BIG 18k, nice ice and saved a drowning mans phone!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
I continued wearing my lucky horseshoe underwear and cleaned up at the beach with the excal! Saturday the surf was big and the beach in the water had a nice trench in front which was deep but full of soft moving sand. I poked around in there a bit but couldn't get a target. The trench went up onto a plateau and the sand was hard underfoot about knee deep. Instincts said yes. I found something I've never experienced. It felt like rock underfoot but when I picked up these finger sized pieces to see what they were they were just super compressed sand that would break apart like some kind of loose half formed sandstone.
I figured this type of bottom would hold some heavy targets so I hit it hard. The surf and hard bottom made finding targets and recovery difficult. I dug coins and fishing weights. Weights always mess with me: I couldn't help digging those sweet hi monotones. Then I got into the good stuff. Both these targets I said to myself "wow, that sounds amazing! I need to find out what it is."
The 18K honker I sluffed off the top scoops quickly between waves and then one big scoop and it just slid down to the butt of the scoop and parked. At first it had a lot of dark tarnish on it and I thought it must be silver or fake. I came out of the water and started rubbing it and the tarnish cleaned right off and I knew it was gold. There's a big old scrape on the band and dense gold through and through!!! I about lost my mind since I don't have much 18k and its 12+ grams! Oh yea.
I went back out and soon had another low growl monotone signal. This one was smaller and shallower but sounded cleaner than a pull tab. I scooped one big scoop and again the ring just slid down to the back of the scoop and stuck. I looked in and saw sparkle so I came out on shore and took a look. Shes a real stunner. The main stone is less than a ct. I am thinking 1/2 -3/4 square ish cut diamond?Still need to get it looked at but theres a hallmark inside and 14K. She has about twenty side stones in the band but two have been dislodged from her time at sea. I am guessing shes only been out there a year or less but the big ring has ben there for a while. After that the incoming tide was kicking me around so I packed it in to celebrate.
The next morning I got out to find the beach had completely changed overnight. In a bad way. The big surf and high tide had stripped sand from the top of the slope down. The steep slope down into the water had been graded to a softer angle, the trench was sanded over with a fresh 18 inches of sand and the hard bottom had some fresh sand over it too. The surf was really up so I couldn't get out to work the plateau like the day before. I went down to the rocks that help me judge the sand movement and confirmed my diagnosis of "sanded inness". There was one strip mid slope with black sand peeking out but I couldn't get a target.
I was sad but switched out the excal for the Safari and WOT coil and worked the towel line. There was a commotion down the beach and life guard a few chairs down swam out and pulled a drowning man out of the surf. The ambulance came and they loaded him up. I walked down and was coming back when I saw a phone sticking out of the sand. I held it up to the nearest lady in a chair and she pointed to a man in the water. I showed him the phone and he said it was not his. I showed it to everyone in the area and everyone said it was not theirs. It was still on but locked. I prayed that the owner would call it before I got back home.
When I got 20 minutes away the phone began buzzing and carrying on and I could see a text with a number and name. I called the number and asked for the guy, saying " I found your phone."
He says "was it in the ambulance?"
I say "Oh that was you? Wow tough day man!" I tell him I found it on the beach and agree to drive back to return it which got me deep into traffic. I got a pic of the return for you all lol. This is the third working phone I have returned this summer. Good luck n happy hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_20170903_214616093.jpg
    IMG_20170903_214616093.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20170917_190903505.jpg
    IMG_20170917_190903505.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice work and an awesome ring!

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, awesome hunt! Beautiful golds and a phone return to boot! Does it get any better? TFS and HH.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Your fire TB!! After last weeks reale and now the double golds!! Can wait to see what's next!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Just WOW! :headbang::hello2::notworthy:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and way to go on the phone return! Hope you get the chance to get back out and work that area over again, might be a cousin to one of those rings sitting waiting on you!:icon_thumright:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No honorable mention cause it aint no gold phone! hehe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread