Big 5kg possibly a Mesosiderite?

system32

Jun 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Im from north wales not long ago i found a odd looking rock some were im not going to share were yet but i will eventually if this is real, it looked complacently different to everything else around i picked it up and it was heavy, and instantly i thought this could be a meteorite, i took it home i did some research on it, is magnetic and i decided to brake a small piece off it and sand it down to make a window on the piece i broke off and oh my it looks good image here Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
bVleF

It weights 4.95KG in total what do you all think of it i believe its a Mesosiderite i have contacted some researchers and will be sending a sample for testing
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
eh5fm

35jNo

jvTZV

38ZIJo3

VymcfNl

S4og3ri

R38xSC8

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rob Elliot is the top collector/hunter in Great Britain. He would likely be able to give you good feedback as well. You can google Fernlea Meteorites....

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any news. Very Curious

chub

OP
OP
S

system32

Jun 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry i took some time to reply, Well i didnt get a chance to send the sample until today but i have been Researching some stuff and i came across something very interesting,
A Meteorite that fell not far from were i found my suspect rock, its the Pontllyfni Meteorite that fell in 1931 link here Pontllyfni | Virtual Microscope
The cool thing about this meteorite is that it was heard by a person whistling over head and landed very close by with a loud thud, info from here UK and Ireland Meteorite page -- by area
The flight path was documented im not sure how accurate it is, it was seen burning over the sky in England by and the loud explosions was heard over north wales look at the map there should be x on the places were it was heard
PON1.GIF
Now i found my suspect Meteorite 10 Miles away from were the Pontllyfni Meteorite was found Near Porthmadog and my rock has many of the characteristics of the pontllyfni meteorite i will attach images

Here are some of the cracks that have a white mineral mine is on right for the first image and left on the other 2
sidebyside.PNG.91481af27ee69584dda471a8d9c081be.PNG
crackwhite.PNG
crackwhite2.PNG crackwhite3.PNG

Here are some side by side of the broken face texture left image is mine
Texture.PNG
texture2.PNG

The microscope slice of the reflected light on the Pontllyfni meteorite is interesting the Silver gray is grains of metallic iron and the golden yellow is sulphide mineral troilite now this is hard to see with the naked eye so i enhanced the picture of the sanded down piece and it does appear to be blotches of silvery and golden color specks in there attached below the pontllyfni slice
microscope slice pontllyfni.PNG
edited slice.PNG

Links to the Pontllyfni meteorite information here
this one has a microscope and a 360 image and zoomable Pontllyfni | Virtual Microscope
UK and Ireland Meteorite page -- by area
https://www.mindat.org/loc-258264.html
1996M&PSA..31...68K Page 68
https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=18865

Last edited:

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you will get much help on this forum in regards to meteorites; however, if you've went down your own checklist of meteorite characteristics and deem it worth spending a few bucks on by all means please do it. It isn't very expensive. I think you can get a piece tested for about 50 bucks USD. Getting it tested is your best bet and thats what I'm doing with mine once I can secure some other bills first...:3coins:

I would just get it tested.:hello: You could also order a DMG kit for about 20 bucks which tests for nickel.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread