Big Bertha, Birth Control and Book Marks!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
You know, you just never know what you're going to find when you are metal detecting. Every hunt has the potential to throw you a curve when you find or dig up something that makes you just sit back on your heels and go "What the He!! is this?" Or "BOY! WHAT'S THAT DOING HERE?" Today was one of those days.
After plans to spend the day with friends got rescheduled, and the rain that was predicted didn't materialize I found myself with some time to get out and detect this Sunday afternoon. What's more is that it was my wife (boy am I lucky) suggested the outting! YES! Well I was all for it, of course! I loaded up my detector and gear in the car and stopped for some sodas and snacks on our way to the HUGE park I've been hitting when I get the chance lately. Another area of grass parking alongside nearby soccer fields was the venue of the day.
Of course, as with any park there is going to be found the usual crap and scrap.. some people just can't seem to be able to find a garbage can.. or they don't understand the concept of the garbage can to begin with. At any rate, I was finding a lot of garbage, pull tabs, can slaw, buried cans, even some of those things that I mentioned at the beginning of this post.. like aluminum clad (conduit?) electrical wiring. Oh it wasn't connected to anything, just chopped up and buried in the grass *sigh*. Yeah.. chopped up, like can slaw.. seems that a LOT of things lost in the grass end up as confetti or a close cousin to it anyway. Nothing is safe from the whirling blades of death.. I mean the lawn mowers.. <chuckle> Not even towering edifices like the Eiffel Tower..

3-8-09 003tower.jpg

Ok, so this "replica" of the Eiffel Tower probably started out as being all of maybe four or five inches tall or so, but after the John Deer Cuisinart met it, well.. I found the bits and pieces.. not all of them, but enough to identify what it was I think.
Amazingly, some things get missed by the mower blades, and you have to wonder just how? I found this heart.. er.. marker.. Book Marker I think.. just under the grass roots. It rang up as a fifty cent piece (range) on my detector, but I had to sit back on my heels and wonder at it when I got it out of the dirt. Monogram and all, shiny, probably brass. <shrug> A few yards away I found a snake.. with a metal head. Ok, so it wasn't a snake, it was a bungee cord, with two metal hooks still intact. There were pull tabs, as mentioned, the bits of metal jacketted electrical wiring and a spike for pinning something to the ground I guess.

3-8-09 016bookmarkcomp1.JPG

Other things found would have to include, zipper pulls, tire valve stem caps (metal), buttons and snaps from jackets or pants or whatever, Vampire Pull tabs.. WITH FANGS!

3-8-09 012stuff.jpg

3-8-09 013IDBand.jpg

OH OKAY... I know it's not a Vampire Pull Tab, but I thought it was funny to call an Ace Bandage "stay" a Vampire. <grin> Bertha liked it!
Bertha is BIG. I met her at the park this afternoon just laying there in the grass looking lost and a bit dirty. Which was odd, because not far from where she lay I found a clothespin, the spring loaded wooden variety.. laundry hardware, and a washer! Well.. an aluminum disc "washer" anyway.. and a rather shiny gold looking lipstick tube buried nearby.

3-8-09 014stuff2.jpg

3-8-09 015Bertha.jpg

Such a dirty girl! <laughing> Well you all have dirty minds too.. or you wouldn't have been so easy to lead along with that little bit. <grin> Not to worry though, you are NOT the only people with dirty minds. My next find proves that for sure! I found this product of Thailand in the grass.. it rang up as foil on my detector.

3-8-09 019Product.jpg

"What is that?" you say... How about a different picture.. a bigger picture..

3-8-09 019Product2comp.JPG

Someone had intended to enjoy their "LifeStyle" at the park it would seem.. since the package was unbroken, either this treasure was lost in the shuffle or they were interupted and had to move the party to some other location. <laughing> Ahh the games people play!
Speaking of games, I found a couple of little pieces that I presume are game pieces.. what game though?

3-8-09 005gamePieces.jpg
3-8-09 007Pieces2.jpg

At first I thought they might be from some form or incarnation of the ever evolving Monopoly Game. I've never seen these game pieces before though. Anyone know what game they may have come from?

The last "GAME PIECE" that I have to share with you from today is.. was.. actually a pin. I *did* mention that they play a LOT of organized soccer at this park, right? Well then it's no suprise that this pin is soccer related huh.

3-8-09 008pin1comp.JPG

Last but not least is the pile of clad I found today. Oh I've certainly found more on other hunts, but I'm happy with the total for today, I was only out for an hour and a half or so this afternoon. LOTS of pennies for that short of a hunt too. Over half the pennies were found in one spot about two feet square. I was beginning to think that someone broke their piggy bank there in the grass or something. Everytime I thought I was finished digging, I'd run my detector over the spot and there would STILL be targets! TWENTY SEVEN Lincoln Memorial Cents in that little area. Cool! Even if they were only clad pennies. <shrug>

3-8-09 001clad.jpg

$5.45 in clad, and one Canadian Cent as well. Yeah, it was a nice afternoon.. despite the gale force winds blowing. Yeah, the rain finally made it here, just as predicted by the weather prognosticators.. just later than they had threatened...er.. promised. But that's ok, I was ready to call it a day and I still had dinner to prepare as promised to my darling wife. So home we went, dinner was prepared and consumed, pictures were taken and now this post is being made. I hope you all had as much fun reading about it as I did finding this stuff. <grin> And, as always..

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always enjoy your posts Frodov...a great read and always interesting to see such a variety of targets...I like the vampire tab, lol. Good to see it was an enjoyable day!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Nate in Ohio said:
I always enjoy your posts Frodov...a great read and always interesting to see such a variety of targets...I like the vampire tab, lol. Good to see it was an enjoyable day!

Yeah one would think that the "Vampire Tabs" would be a rare sighting anymore, but as I detect a lot of parks and playing fields I do tend to find quite a few of them. Both the one piece metal stays like the one pictured in this post and the newer ones with the metal "teeth" on either end and the elastic band in the middle. Of course a lot of people don't use either type, as I've learned. Some people simply use some black electrical tape. I find wads of that stuff at nearly every soccer field I've detected. <shrug> Thanks for reading!

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
4-H staff said:
Tee that Callaway ball up and smack it! Lots of finds and good pics :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

With that ball and many others that I've found here and at other parks, I could probably tee up and swat for most of an afternoon. <laughing> No, not really. I think I have about a dozen or so now in my collection, since the last time I divested myself of them to unwitting friends. Neat trick.. or a dirty one, depending on how you look at it. I catch when a friend or family member, or causal aquaintance even, has their car trunk open.. and slip in a ball or three when they aren't looking.
Now we all know what it's like to be driving along and have to brake or turn and you hear that odd sound of something moving around in the back of the car... and think.. "What was that?".. <laughing> Better still, if and when they pull over and investigate.. to find the golf ball or balls and think.. "Now how did THAT get in here?"

I admit it.. I'm a prankster at heart.. it's the Irish in me.. I must have a bit o Leprechaun blood in me veins.

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Great post and great hunt my friend! That Product from Thailand is still within expiration..... ;D

Congrats on the finds! :thumbsup:

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
Another enjoyable trip to the park with you Frodov! Glad your winter has finally broken.

Old_Okie

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
beetle662 said:
Great post and great hunt my friend! That Product from Thailand is still within expiration..... ;D

Congrats on the finds! :thumbsup:

I noticed that too beetle... NOT that I will be USING it though. Not my brand don't you know. <guffaw> You should have heard my wife.. "Why did you keep THAT thing?" <laughing>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread