Big Blue.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 347
OP
OP
Smoogle

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yes it is a sapphire - or some would say it's cabachon grade corundum. Either way I posted it because it is large for the fields it was found in, I like it and thought some may find it interesting.

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
are you going to cab it, or leave it raw? I prefer raw myself, but I bet the blue would really come out in a cab. nice find

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Smoogle

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'm going to keep it as a rough - the size combined with colour and natural crystal shape make it special as is ... it may interest people to know that much of Australia's best VVS material is sold to the Thai's who relabel it as being from Ceylon or Burma and then sell it to the rest of the world. I may be bias but I believe we have stones equal to the best in the world here.... check out the website www.aussiesapphire.com.au they have ceased production because the cost of running the mine is way more than current market returns on stones that are rarer than diamonds :dontknow:

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I would prefer saphires or emeralds to diamonds any day! but give me an uncut stone, & I'm a happy girl. glad you are leaving yours as is. thanx for the link, I really didn't know Australia had saphires. of course I think of opals from Aussie. the most beautiful I've ever seen.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh, Australia is quite well known for Sapphire - often greenish-blue which where in trend a couple of years ago. :thumbsup:
But basically all Australian sapphire is heat treated to get any gem quality. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Smoogle

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Eu_citzen said:
Oh, Australia is quite well known for Sapphire - often greenish-blue which where in trend a couple of years ago. :thumbsup:
But basically all Australian sapphire is heat treated to get any gem quality. :)
Australian fields due produce absolute vvs++ stones and they are few compared to the massive amount of material sent to the Thai's who heat treat + add other colur changing nasties.
The greenish blues are from the Central QLD fields mostly, the NSW fields produce rich blues - occasionally up there with the best in the world. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well the Thai's get stones to treat from many places.

Oh, not only colour changing stuff (beryllium), they are known for glass treating ruby (i.e filling fissures etc with glass), flux treating ruby (healing fissures with flux i.e. borax) and other stuff to. >:(

If your unlucky the ruby content is only 10%, the rest is glass.

I personally have a weakness for the Indian sapphires - Kashmir Sapphire, some of the cleanest blue I've seen.
It's sad when you realize your taste is rather expensive. lol :D

I haven't seen so many of the Australian blues, but those I've seen often tend to be very saturated - sometimes almost to much.
I think that can be changed with a simple heat treatment though.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions