OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Mom has a whole pot full of scrap food in a pot on the back porch right now. It's getting to dusk here now. I'll be checking out back - from the inside of course - to see if it comes back. Me talking to the bear up close may have frightened it away for a while. I really just didn't feel in danger when I walked out, sat on the steps and talked to it. Kinda, I guess, I felt it was the right thing to do. I'd rather have it fat and friendly than have it as a mortal enemy in the woods 30 feet from my back door.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At some level I'm not sure if you are serious. By the way My long post was intended as a joke but with a moral. A fed bear is a dead bear. That's the way it is. He is not your friend. Once a bear loses his fear of people and looks to them for food he will be killed . period. Your intentions may be good but this will not end well for you or the bear. I'm not kidding now.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
MOST bears in Virginia are BLACK BEARS; born/raised in Shenandoah Valley, I saw 'em on BRP & in SNP. If y'all lived in L'burg, Va., our VVA Vietnam Vets would do a free up-grade on yer house, up in the holler there. Don't know if you have VVA (Vietnam Vets of America) where you live (Floyd,Va.?)...

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
At some level I'm not sure if you are serious. By the way My long post was intended as a joke but with a moral. A fed bear is a dead bear. That's the way it is. He is not your friend. Once a bear loses his fear of people and looks to them for food he will be killed . period. Your intentions may be good but this will not end well for you or the bear. I'm not kidding now.

I understand what you are saying here. He's not back yet since last night. And, you're right, if he and I become friends it will endanger his life.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
MOST bears in Virginia are BLACK BEARS; born/raised in Shenandoah Valley, I saw 'em on BRP & in SNP. If y'all lived in L'burg, Va., our VVA Vietnam Vets would do a free up-grade on yer house, up in the holler there. Don't know if you have VVA (Vietnam Vets of America) where you live (Floyd,Va.?)...

My friend, yes I am a Vietnam vet of two tours there. I'm not a member of anything near here, chose to be invisible. Mom's 94 and I'm only 70. There may be some point in the future in which I'd be up to a free up-grade on my house, but got running water - hot & cold - and I really do prefer my distance FROM humankind. I have sanctuary, the internet, and debt free. What else could I ask for? In addition to that, I've very deep faith in Our Father.

I'm about 45 minutes from Floyd, gotta go up Lover's Leap to get to Floyd and that drive gives me the willies - terribly afraid of heights....

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just don't get too comfortable around the bear. I love to watch wildlife too, but they are animals and wildlife. You can't second guess them. Don't put yourself in a position like that bear guy got himself and his girlfriend into a while back in Alaska. We remember how that worked out for them. We used to have a saying: "Once you feed a stray dog it becomes Your dog". Just be careful. You are well thought of here on the forum.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
My friend, yes I am a Vietnam vet of two tours there. I'm not a member of anything near here, chose to be invisible. Mom's 94 and I'm only 70. There may be some point in the future in which I'd be up to a free up-grade on my house, but got running water - hot & cold - and I really do prefer my distance FROM humankind. I have sanctuary, the internet, and debt free. What else could I ask for? In addition to that, I've very deep faith in Our Father.

I'm about 45 minutes from Floyd, gotta go up Lover's Leap to get to Floyd and that drive gives me the willies - terribly afraid of heights....
If yer OK, I am ok... and! Be careful of Benji the bear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If yer OK, I am ok... and! Be careful of Benji the bear.

Hey Reb my friend! I'd not named the bear yet, but Benji seems just fine. It's dark out right now, time for me to go downstairs to pee. I'll look out and see if the bear is there :)

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I went down to and opened the back door = raining out there right now = no bear in sight. I absolutely would have talked to him if he were there. Looks like a miserable night of rain. I pray the bear will be okay. I do love critters. That bear may at some point hurt me, but I'll always forgive him/her. What else do I have at this point except for love of all critters around me? I am completely Christian. To me, it is all about having a clean soul.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a black bear. Brown bears are grizzlies and none live in VA or any other east coast state, they are a strictly northwestern bear. I had a bunch of black bears in my yard for several years. My bro in law is a wildlife biologist in AK who studies large mammals and he says the black bears are actually more dangerous then grizzlies because they are less predictable. Don't feed or interact with them, they can be very dangerous. When they were around my place I kept a 45-70 rifle near the door as my neighbor had a five year old daughter who liked to run around and scream while she played outside while her mom sat inside watching reality TV. Never had to use the rifle but I did carry it out when I saw a big bear on the property and the little girl running around and I went to get her back in her house.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Hey Reb my friend! I'd not named the bear yet, but Benji seems just fine. It's dark out right now, time for me to go downstairs to pee. I'll look out and see if the bear is there :)
HA! Good to "see" you, again; just don't pee on Benji... might not be amused. You COULD "mark" your spot... heh.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, HEAVY rain here in Central Virginia, rivers/creeks over-flowing; some roads STILL closed... and for you...?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, HEAVY rain here in Central Virginia, rivers/creeks over-flowing; some roads STILL closed... and for you...?

On my end, my bridge washed out again. I went down the last couple of days trying to get it passable again. I had to work around the edges, as the water was still over the top. A 4WD can make it over it, but only have an old Oldsmobile. For the time being I'm stranded and isolated - but that's my kinda life :)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
OK; stay alert for Bull Mountain "run-offs" (landslides, after trees are cut down/hauled away by loggers; no trees, no "holding back" the water). Several landslides in our area, including over a new home being built, south of us. MORE heavy rain is indicated... next week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I just returned from the bridge, the creek is still over the top. Supposed to be dry until Thursday the 4th evening. So, at some point before then I should be able to get out. If it were up to Mom, I'd plow right through that water! And then I'd float down the creek along with the torrent.....

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I just returned from the bridge, the creek is still over the top. Supposed to be dry until Thursday the 4th evening. So, at some point before then I should be able to get out. If it were up to Mom, I'd plow right through that water! And then I'd float down the creek along with the torrent.....
LOL! Don't do THAT! If your bridge/road is a secondary county road, PATRICK COUNTY is to be contracted by email (county web-site). If it is a primary state bridge/road... contact Va. State HWY Department; Patrick County has an area office. YOU should NOT have to do it, yourself; it is what us TAX-PAYERS pay for. Do it all by internet!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Further R & I indicates that you are near Stuart, Va. & Bull Mountain Road is Rt. 687. May wanna contract Radio Station WHEO in Stuart, Va. to alert OTHERS in your area about the creek over-flow; could be very dangerous... dunno. Be careful out there!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What it looked like a half hour ago.

IMG_1457.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread