48.4 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 406
Upvote 0

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Re: big chert knife

Your friend should be proud, really nice piece...
Can I be your friend? lol

P

pickaway

That is a big one...And a big thanks again...

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other

It would be VERY interesting to see what else Russie's found where that knife came from !

Whoever made it really knew what he was doing. One outrepasse flake on something might be an accident, so I wouldn't get that steamed about it yet, but it wouldn't be at all surprising if his site turned out to be a very old one indeed.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

thanks uniface, yes I was about 5 feet from him when he picked this up and handed it to me

this is from my field

yes the same field everything else I post comes from

I invited him to walk for about an hour yesterday

what is that flake you just mentioned, can you explain please?
thanks, Larson1951

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

outrepasse is a flaking technique in which a large flake is taken off that extends from one edge to the other edge. I must be missing something on your knife because I don't see any like that. This is flaking technique that was done by the Paleo culture and I think uniface may believe your buddies knife is a lot older that the other artifacts you find on your site.

Very nice Knife your buddy found.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other

Sometimes this sort of flaking is interrupted by removals meeting it from the other side -- which is what it looks like was the case here.

As a rule of thumb, curved flakes that go past the center line came from a different strategy than the one where the flaking from both sides meet in a ridge running down the length of the piece.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

"Outre passe" flaking occurs randomly also, regardless of what you'll read elsewhere. Especially when you are working with higher quality materials. Also, it doesn't always occur purposefully, ask any knapper. Caddoan blades can exhibit Outre Passe flaking, as well as many other large bifaces. However, it appears to be mainstay with certain early paleo (which is where a lot of the confusion lays).

Outre Passe flaking is basically horizontal flakes that transverse the complete face of a point, usually blowing out the other side. Every knapper must flake past the center of the biface in the thinning stages. It's an old knappers saying "If you aren't popping them past the middle, you're losing ground!". It's true. The flake has to travel at least past the center and overlap other flakes to be thinning it any. If you short-stroke it, you'll wind up with a very thick piece..lol. For points with a median ridge, the later stages of pressure flaking (after thinning) are taken only to the center.

For an illustrated reference on flaking terms and techniques, you can check here - http://www.arrowheads1.com/flaking/primer.htm

That looks like a nice piece Larson, does it show any sign of use?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread