Big copper point or spear ?

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI
Found this the other day, looks like a conical point but its so big and heavy, could it be a spear ? Its 4.615'' long, .860'' at its widest, and the shaft socket is .600''. The tip is shaped like a chisel.

Attachments

• sc07481.jpg
    sc07481.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 464
  • sc07482.jpg
    sc07482.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 470
Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
That's a copper culture artifact alright.. wow, I have never seen a conical point that size.. listed in a price guide I would suspect a description of UNIQUE

P

patina

Yes, It looks good from the picture. The chiseled tip is rare on this type of point. Do you have better pictures of the point & different angles? Does the back side have a step up socket? Congrats...Patina

OP
OP
Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI

Attachments

• Untitled-Stitched-02.jpg
    Untitled-Stitched-02.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 334
  • Untitled-Stitched-03.jpg
    Untitled-Stitched-03.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 330
  • dsc07494.jpg
    dsc07494.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 345
P

patina

Thanks for posting more pictures. I believe it is neither a point or spear. I believe it to be a light duty chisel tool. The tapered tip that forms the chisel was made for this purpose when originally hammered.
Doe's not have the traditional step up socket, usually found in points of ovate socket style.
Has chisel formed bevel tip & not a projectile point which is usually the norm.
Formed to be this tool from the start, not incorporating a step up suggests light duty.
Does not have the appearance of a re-salvage.
What you have is an unique copper culture tool that is complete.

Going back to step up's. What I mean is there is no step wall from the socket, up to the point or blade. It is on the same plane from bottom socket all the way to the tip. If used with force it would create extreme pressure on side wall sockets & hafting(bounce back). The transfer of energy on this type of plane goes from the tip directly to the hafting.
Where as a step up wall between the socket & point transfers all energy to the tip. Very little pressure on hafting which makes a step up, an implement of forward force that is the most affective against bounceback.
I can see your implement as a finishing wood working/ice, etc. tool using normal hand force.
Congrats, what you have is special & authentic old copper culture.....Patina

OP
OP
Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI
I metal detect for them, though I have found a small knife (dug up by someone else) and 1 chunk of cu without a detector.

P

pickaway

Ouch sure wouldnt want to get hit in the ass with that .built to kill.Excellent find!!! :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread