Big finds at the 1904 schoolhouse today....Im stoked!

W

whites6000inPa

Big finds at the 1904 schoolhouse today....I'm stoked!

Almost didn't go out.......

There's some bad weather moving in here today....and when I got up I looked outside and thought it had already rained. I drank my coffee and looked outside again....and my yard was relatively dry...so off to the schoohouse I went. I left to go beepin' at 9:00 am....and was back by 11:00 am.

I keep thinking that this place just has to be hunted out. In fact, I talked to a guy this morning who had hunted it years ago....and he told me it was hunted out before I even started there......NOT! These 3 pieces of silver push the total silver take from that school to 30 coins and 1 sterling ring.

The Walker was 3 inches down....and I figured I was going to dig up another lid from a baby food jar or something similarly valuable....so I almost wet myself when this popped up in the dirt. It's a 1944....and I don't care if it is the most common date.....walkers from the ground aren't all that common anymore...so I'm a happy camper to say the least.

I then decided that it would be fun...especially since I didn't think I'd have long before the rain started...to just dig higher VDI readings. I got the gargoyle thing-a-ma-jig at about 6 inches. The merc showed up at 5 inches and the VDI told me "quarter"......the quarter was only 2 inches deep.

All I can say is...... "keep hunting those 'hunted ou't spots" This place keeps getting better the more stuff I remove.

Woo Hoo......Let it rain....I got my "fix" for today........big time.

Attachments

• BIGSTUFF.JPG
    BIGSTUFF.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 518
Upvote 0

luvmydfx

Mar 21, 2005
Re: Big finds at the 1904 schoolhouse today....I'm stoked!

Nice finds. I have found alot of good coins, but have yet to pop out a walker.

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I have found a grand total of 4 since 1978....now, I didn't do this at all from 1993 until mid July of this year.....so it might not have taken me so long (to get No 4) had I not taken a dozen year vacation from the best hobby in the world.

Keep swingin'......it'll happen.

Wyatt

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Absolutely great!! Gotta love that ;D ;D ;D.

HH,
Moon

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

Maybe it'll be "HUNTED OUT" after you finish there. Truth is, no one ever gets it all. Fabilous finds.
Spotz

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahaaa! I thought there'd be more there! Nice job! 8)

rustycoinUT

May 13, 2005
Tulsa, ok
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wyatt, Nice finds! Congrats on the Walking Liberty half :o

HH
rustycoinUT

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

outstanding finds! i havent dug a walker yet,but can imagine how it must have felt! awesome!!

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Thanks all.....It was a real rush pulling the walker. I have yet to find a silver dollar. Someday.....

Well, the sun came back out and I rtan back down the hill to the scene of this morning's crime.....and managed 6 pennies, 2 are wheats....a 35 merc, and a 97 Kennedy half that got into it with a lawnmower. It has a real sharp edge where the blade caught it.....gonna have to smack that with a hammer before it goes to the bank.

This is the first time i've ever found 2 half dollars in one day.

Wyatt.......(sore wrist...and done for the day)

Attachments

• 2NDTRIP.JPG
    2NDTRIP.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 445

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Awesome, Wyatt. It's great that this hobby is still exciting for you after all those years.

Gigisdiamonds

Mar 18, 2005
Kansas

;D Hi? whites6000inPa? You really did find great stuff!!! I really like your "the gargoyle thing-a-ma-jig"? ;D? Thought you'd like to know what others call him...."The Green Man"? Here is just one link that you can see that looks like yours. They have more on other links.... they are all supose to be the same guy but have slightly different looks to them. You might want to look up others links too?

http://www.outdoordecor.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-JW063-670.html?E+scstore
HH
Gigi

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

The Green man has the face of a man......this is more like a lion. Whatever it is, it's pretty cool. I really do enjoy this hobby....as much or more now than when I was younger. The old schoolhouse is going to be a tough act to follow.....but I'm working on it....I have a few more places that should produce well "on the back burner"

Wyatt

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro

Maybe that's not a Green Man you found, but you can certainly color mr green ...with envy. That Walker is one nice coin!!

grizzly bare

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I never expected that the High half dollar signal would indeed be a coin. I guess we're supposed to expect it....but after a lot of Ponds cold cream jar lids, backs from pocket watches, snuff tins....and any other number of things that aren't half dollars....it's a real shocker when one does surface.

The half was in a border area...3 feet from the back edge of the playground near a fence seperating the schoolyard from the next house. It's not grown up there, and I worked past that area several times before this morning. I'm going to ask about detecting that yard also......as it was part of the school grounds prior to the mid 30s. Even if it wasn't deeded to the school.....the kids would have ventured there before that house was built. There's also evidence of an old alley at the back edge of that yard....that comes right onto the school property. I'm sure there's silver inside that fence as well. I just haven't caught the inhabitants outside recently.

Wyatt

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great coins, congrats! tsgman

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

It's really hard for me to fathom that this place was looked upon by the local detectorists as being hunted out, when in just 2 weeks, it's produced a sterling silver ring, 19 silver rosies, 7 mercs, 5 silver washington quarters, and a walking liberty half......and pennies too numerous to mention but going back to 1903.. I'm going to ask the guys around here about any more "hunted out" places they know about! I'm going to need a new place to swing the coil soon.

Wyatt

IrishCharlieM

Oct 20, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA

Nice finds ....for a hunted out spot...lol

Remember no 2 people swing the same....I dont believe anything is ever hunted out ...Just think and swing OUTSIDE the box...LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread