Big Foreign Silver and Huge Sterling!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

I haven’t been out much lately because I’ve been busy with work and the weather here has been downright nasty. Got out to an area today between rain showers that I had low expectations for. I’ve hit it a little and haven’t found much but I’ve done well nearby so I figured it was worth another go.

Well, I’m glad I did. A King George V Canadian silver has been at the top of my bucket list for nearly 2 years, right up there with a seated coin and a gold coin. I got a pretty solid signal I thought could be a silver dime. I popped out a quarter that I thought had a good chance of being silver but it was hard to tell because it was pretty caked. I figured it was a silver GW. I ran some water over it and was shocked to see an old Canadian silver!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555198049.545299.jpg

Didn’t find much else so I was heading back to the car as the rain picked up and got a banging signal an inch deep in a few inches of water. I dug around and saw a turquoise stone. It is so big I figured it was a piece of costume jewelry. When I picked it up it felt pretty heavy and then I saw the sterling mark. Score!! I found a matching ring for sale online for over $200.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555198150.168828.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555198159.752349.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555198169.352582.jpg

Pretty awesome, especially for a short hunt.

Thanks for looking and good luck out there!
-W

Upvote 32

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet ring and Canadian silver!! That ring is huge!!!!:icon_thumright:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi washingtonian, Nice Score on the half! I had to laugh at the rest of your hunt details as it is a lot like many other posts where the unsuspecting detectorist was on his or her way back to the vehicle and they get a signal that is so strong and it turns out to be something Oh So Special, just like your find! Well done on all three counts starting with going "Out There" when the weather is actually threatening.

That is a Honking Big Ring, to me it shouts of a special period of time in History When that style was "The Thing"! Maybe 20's or 30's so neither era was good for "most people", WWI/flu pandemic/Depression/Prohibition. Your photo show's a lot of writhing on the inside of the ring, have you been able to locate the maker, the year it could have been made, was it a custom order or a more common design?????? The answers could net you more than the $200.00 price you've come across. I think there are 'folks' who still dress up in the clothes and jewelry of various era's and if so they might just pay top dollar for a special Piece by a known designer/maker?????? Have fun searching and keep on with the postings as I'm way too bored waiting for the snow to melt in the Sierras!............63bkpkr

Last edited:

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds.
The ring is no older than 21 years old.
Here's the website site for the makers ring:
https://charlesalbert.com/
They have been in bizness since '98.
That's 1998.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on a great white north silver. I remember you saying a year ago that you would really like to find one. Glad you finally found the bucket lister!
By the way, it took me 3 years to find my first George V silver quarter and I live in Canada.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hi washingtonian, Nice Score on the half! I had to laugh at the rest of your hunt details as it is a lot like many other posts where the unsuspecting detectorist was on his or her way back to the vehicle and they get a signal that is so strong and it turns out to be something Oh So Special, just like your find! Well done on all three counts starting with going "Out There" when the weather is actually threatening.

That is a Honking Big Ring, to me it shouts of a special period of time in History When that style was "The Thing"! Maybe 20's or 30's so neither era was good for "most people", WWI/flu pandemic/Depression/Prohibition. Your photo show's a lot of writhing on the inside of the ring, have you been able to locate the maker, the year it could have been made, was it a custom order or a more common design?????? The answers could net you more than the $200.00 price you've come across. I think there are 'folks' who still dress up in the clothes and jewelry of various era's and if so they might just pay top dollar for a special Piece by a known designer/maker?????? Have fun searching and keep on with the postings as I'm way too bored waiting for the snow to melt in the Sierras!............63bkpkr

Thank you!

This is the similar ring I found: https://poshmark.com/listing/Charle...D/USED&utm_campaign=1756542959&utm_source=gdm

Same maker and it appears they’re still in business. I too thought this was likely from the 1920s based on its style and the history of the site but I’m not sure how to confirm that. I appreciate the support and hope your snow melts soon!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Great finds.
The ring is no older than 21 years old.
Here's the website site for the makers ring:
https://charlesalbert.com/
They have been in bizness since '98.
That's 1998.

Oh perfect. How strange! It’s an old site but heck, people still frequent it. Must’ve come off the hand of an unsuspecting boater or swimmer. Thanks for looking into it!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Congratulations on a great white north silver. I remember you saying a year ago that you would really like to find one. Glad you finally found the bucket lister!
By the way, it took me 3 years to find my first George V silver quarter and I live in Canada.

Thank you! Yeah, I even packed my detector along to a work trip in Calgary this time last year only to be rebuffed by the frozen tundra. Good memory and thanks for the support!!

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks,

I haven’t been out much lately because I’ve been busy with work and the weather here has been downright nasty. Got out to an area today between rain showers that I had low expectations for. I’ve hit it a little and haven’t found much but I’ve done well nearby so I figured it was worth another go.

Well, I’m glad I did. A King George V Canadian silver has been at the top of my bucket list for nearly 2 years, right up there with a seated coin and a gold coin. I got a pretty solid signal I thought could be a silver dime. I popped out a quarter that I thought had a good chance of being silver but it was hard to tell because it was pretty caked. I figured it was a silver GW. I ran some water over it and was shocked to see an old Canadian silver!

View attachment 1702530

Didn’t find much else so I was heading back to the car as the rain picked up and got a banging signal an inch deep in a few inches of water. I dug around and saw a turquoise stone. It is so big I figured it was a piece of costume jewelry. When I picked it up it felt pretty heavy and then I saw the sterling mark. Score!! I found a matching ring for sale online for over $200.

View attachment 1702531
View attachment 1702532
View attachment 1702533

Pretty awesome, especially for a short hunt.

Thanks for looking and good luck out there!
-W

Yep, couple of cool finds there, congrats!:headbang: I`m betting whoever wore that ring never went swimming with it on, would have dragged em right to the bottom!:tongue3:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likin' the Old Canadian Silver. The ring is nice too. Congrats!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a HUGE ring! Nice that the stone didn't crack.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the most beautiful sterling "brass knuckle" I have ever seen. Congratulations on a great piece. Sub 8-)

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you would think that the sudden loss of weight would have caused them to slap themselves when it came off LOL. that is a huge one for sure! congrats my friend on both awesome finds. very cool on both, big smiles again!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
That coin is not 'just' silver, but Sterling Silver @ .925 fine.
Congrats !
Don.....

I didn’t know that, cool! If anything I thought it might be .800 because I know some of the later Canadian coins had less silver content, thanks for chiming in!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread