Big iron. Either going to be awesome or garbage.

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright. I know what I really, really want this to be. I also know it's probably just junk, and either way my wife is going to be really mad when she finds out I brought this home.

It's the last thing I found before my detector stopped functioning, and the only thing I got to dig this year.

Top down first. Measure almost exactly two feet long, but could be broken:

IMG_3309.JPG

Bottom edge, which is wider than the top edge. Note it has been bent to one side a bit somehow:

IMG_3328.JPG

From the top down, the bottom edge measures just about 1.75 inches wide:

IMG_3315.JPG

From top to bottom, it measures almost exactly two inches tall:

IMG_3326.JPG

Laying on its side:

IMG_3336.JPG

I have a feeling the view of the cross-section will imply function:

IMG_3322.JPG

Finally, note that at the tapered end of the object, on the widest edge (the "side"), there is a groove that gradually tapers off and terminates such that it almost looks like the impression that a double-edged sword or the tip of a rocket would make:

IMG_3334.JPG

Background info if you desire:

The immediate vicinity where this was dug is in a farm field, near a fenceline. Finds date absolutely no earlier than 1873, and rarely later than 1945. The vast majority date between 1893 and 1908. This area was once a coal mining camp. The location where this object was dug was somewhere between 100 feet and 1/8th of a mile from a now long-gong section of the C.R.I.P. railroad. It was less than 1/8th of a mile from the shaft entrances for two bituminous coal mines, which had several miles of underground track. Prior to 1893, the area would have been unoccupied timber/wilderness. Between 1893 to 1908 the area was a coal mining camp. From 1908 to 1925 the area would have been vacant. From 1925 to present, the area would have been agricultural farmland. Accordingly this object is with great confidence either related to farming or coal mining.

Thanks for any help, you all know I appreciate it very much.

-mcl

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an alternate theory
An overhead rail for a litter carrier.

tmp_32013-th(33)1373872101.jpg

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Tony.

single-rail-hay-carrier.jpg

Note the rail the trolley is running on.

Myers007.jpg
MYERS Cross Draft Unloader
F.E. Myers + Bro. Ashland, O. U.S.A. This antique hay carriage comes with the original hooks and pulleys to pick up the hay off the wagon and 100' of the original 1" rope, very unusual to find one complete with all original parts. Very nice collector item, all in great condition.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is what I WANT it to be.. I'm afraid it's an ancient steel t-post or something.

Possibly repurposed as a fence post? It sure looks like rail to me...

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does look like a small rail.

I worked at a foundry in the early 80's and we had those along the floors in spots for hand carts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
So I've found something that definitely would support the barn/hay/manure rail theory. Louden made all the sorts of things and in their catalog I found this:

track.png

Though the one thing is that the dimensions are off. This Louden track is much wider than it is tall (whereas mine is just slightly taller than it is wide), and speaking of height, it's 60% shorter than the thing I found. Seems that might have an implication on the size and shape of what could ride on the rail. Of course I'm not an engineer so I have no idea what those implications are (wheel size, etc?).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
After additional research, I am reasonably confident that in fact this is a rail from a narrow gauge track, probably for a mining cart.

What led me to this conclusion is the tapered "groove" on the one side. This, in combination with the facts that:

2) the top and bottom also taper,
3) the size and weight seem to exceed that of standard single-bead hay/barn/manure trolleys yet nearly match the modern standard size and weight for 12 lb ASCE railroad rail,
4) a hay/barn/manure rail would be out of place in terms of timeline of the area (they were popular when no farming was taking place),
5) the only barn that has existed in the vicinity would have been over 1000 feet from the location I found the piece,
6) this was not the location where I typically find "dumped" refuse in the area,
7) the object was found within 125 feet of a railroad spike (from previous hunt)
8) other reasons from original post.

I believe this is some sort of railroad switch component, what seems to be referred to as "switch point" blade/end. It is very difficult to find closeup pictures of actual rail parts for comparison, so only the first two are actually for use on an real railroad track. The rest are hobby track pieces ranging from theme park ride size to miniature; pictures of these are much easier to come by.

switch_point_60lb_5ft.jpg
railway_rail_switch_point_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1.jpg
CC9C_252.JPG
CC9C_265.JPG
17.jpg
18.jpg
DT_Swtpoint_01.jpg
DT_Swtpoint_041.jpg

Fairly confident on this one at this point, but if anyone has any other ideas or counterpoints, let me know.

Thanks.

-mcl

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
This is a piece of mine rail from 1800s coal mine. It is 2 3/16 by 2 3/16. And has same shape as modern rail almost flat on top and so is hay trolley rail. Maybe an illusion but yours seems rounded on top and base seems too thick to be rail.

Attachments

• IMG_20161217_100754.jpg
    IMG_20161217_100754.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20161217_100739.jpg
    IMG_20161217_100739.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20161217_100635.jpg
    IMG_20161217_100635.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is a website that gives data on all rail designs thru history. weight per foot is the factor that shows what rails were for what purpose. they also give the dimensions for each section--such as rise, width, foot, crown, shape, etc. and provide country of origin. my recent Google search on a section of rail I dug prompted my research. IMG_3797.JPG IMG_3798.JPG IMG_3799.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a piece of mine rail from 1800s coal mine. It is 2 3/16 by 2 3/16. And has same shape as modern rail almost flat on top and so is hay trolley rail. Maybe an illusion but yours seems rounded on top and base seems too thick to be rail.

Thanks for the post. You're right about the illusion to some degree. The profile view image I took from the same angle as your pictures does exaggerate the size of the base due to being damaged a bit right on the end of it (the left side of the base is folded up a bit, making it look quite thick). It's under 1 centimeter thick, though it it gets thinner yet near the edges.

As far as the rounding goes, definitely the head in general is more round than a lot of other examples I've seen. However the very top edge is more flat than it seems. Definitely not rounded on that edge.

I haven't come up with a great explanation for the rounded shape; maybe wear and tear, or maybe it isn't even a piece of rail.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
there is a website that gives data on all rail designs thru history. weight per foot is the factor that shows what rails were for what purpose. they also give the dimensions for each section--such as rise, width, foot, crown, shape, etc. and provide country of origin. my recent Google search on a section of rail I dug prompted my research. View attachment 1392361 View attachment 1392362 View attachment 1392363

If you have link I'd definitely be interested. One small problem is that the ASCE standard sizes were published in 1893 -- if this is rail, it would have been laid between 1892 and 1893, possibly predating those standardized measurements. Of course something else might have come before that.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions