Big Ole Fluted Point

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those of you who subscribe to Indian Artifact Magazine(IAM) know that the November issue has a cover story about the Sugarloaf Paleo site in Deerfield, Ma. Here's the cover with a photo of editor Gary Fogelman holding the base of the largest fluted point found there in the Sept. 2013 dig by the American Society of Amateur Archaeology(ASAA), the organization run by Paleo archaeologist, and collector-friendly archaeologist Richard "Mike" Gramly. Also a photo of Dr. Gramly's 1995 monograph on the site. I had a chance this past weekend to see and hold the largest fluted point found in the New England states. Unfinished, but Mike said it "was close", and made of felsite. I'll post photos in a sec.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 233
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I could not pass on the opportunity to hold the largest fluted point known from New England. IAM shows it in-situ, and the tip was in place. The piece was not far down and was broken, not anciently, but by farm trucks driving the farm lane directly above the piece! The other 2 photos show both sides of this puppy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    567.2 KB · Views: 291
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 263
OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This clip was shot last Saturday at the meeting of the New England chapter of ASAA. here Mike Gramly talks about the site. Mike makes you feel like you are an important part of the process of unraveling Paleo landscapes. He really respects amateur archaeologists and collectors and believes in sharing information with us.

New finds at Paleo Sugarloaf Site Update- Dec 2013 - YouTube

in the video clip, Mike holds a fluted point with part of the channel flake reattached. Here is that cool point.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice...those are so cool...I know paleo pieces are few and far between.Maine has a few known sites.Havent come across anything fluted but some of the archaic stuff is getting close to the paleo time period.Thanks for the look.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice...those are so cool...I know paleo pieces are few and far between.Maine has a few known sites.Havent come across anything fluted but some of the archaic stuff is getting close to the paleo time period.Thanks for the look.

Dr. Gramly excavated the Vail site in NW Maine. He believes the fluted point tradition persisted longer in New England because the caribou herds persisted later here. Here is the front and back cover of his monograph on Vail. Lots of fluted drills at Vail!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    788.6 KB · Views: 188
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 198

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post thanks for sharing !!!!!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Charl why are the tips on most of those points kind of rounded instead of coming to a sharp tip? Trying to learn something new is why I ask.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Charl why are the tips on most of those points kind of rounded instead of coming to a sharp tip? Trying to learn something new is why I ask.

rock, if you mean the ones on the back cover of the Vail book above, some were being used as drills, others are more likely knives then projectiles.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes. and thanks for the info

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I've hiked Sugarloaf many times. I Always wondered where exactly the paleo site is located. A few smaller fluted points have been found in the area. The Guida Farm site is one of the more famous, but I also read of a paleo site that was uncovered when Westover AFB was built. I know one person who claims to have found a fluted point in a field in Deerfield. Photographic evidence is missing :dontknow:. Certainly, many more paleo sites dot the CT River valley. Some are sitting undiscovered near the surface, others buried under silt 20+ feet thick. I hope one day you get to find a fluted point even bigger than that one!

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
rock, if you mean the ones on the back cover of the Vail book above, some were being used as drills, others are more likely knives then projectiles.

Those tips for the most part are all so similar I am thinking it was intentional.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for that interesting insight on the points and history that was found in your immediate area! :icon_thumleft: Hope you are lucky enough to fine one of those too.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I'd be scared to hold that piece. A brave soul that passes that hands that point over to another person. Cool post!!

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've hiked Sugarloaf many times. I Always wondered where exactly the paleo site is located. A few smaller fluted points have been found in the area. The Guida Farm site is one of the more famous, but I also read of a paleo site that was uncovered when Westover AFB was built. I know one person who claims to have found a fluted point in a field in Deerfield. Photographic evidence is missing :dontknow:. Certainly, many more paleo sites dot the CT River valley. Some are sitting undiscovered near the surface, others buried under silt 20+ feet thick. I hope one day you get to find a fluted point even bigger than that one!

Thanks. The Sugarloaf Site is on the Sanderson Farm. Yes, the Ct. Valley is rich in Paleo sites. The one below isn't fluted, but it's likely Paleo and was found in Deerfield.

I'd be scared to hold that piece. A brave soul that passes that hands that point over to another person. Cool post!!

Lol. I kept thinking "don't drop it, Charlie, don't drop it Charlie..."

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those tips for the most part are all so similar I am thinking it was intentional.

Tell me about it! Yes, they found dozens of these tools at the Vail Site in Maine:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 117

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
This clip was shot last Saturday at the meeting of the New England chapter of ASAA. here Mike Gramly talks about the site. Mike makes you feel like you are an important part of the process of unraveling Paleo landscapes. He really respects amateur archaeologists and collectors and believes in sharing information with us.

New finds at Paleo Sugarloaf Site Update- Dec 2013 - YouTube

in the video clip, Mike holds a fluted point with part of the channel flake reattached. Here is that cool point.

Awesome Charl ! I never imagined that the platform nipple was so large, prior to being removed to make the flute. very interesting to see the striking platforms remaining on several of those point bases. Thanks for posting these.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks. The Sugarloaf Site is on the Sanderson Farm. Yes, the Ct. Valley is rich in Paleo sites. The one below isn't fluted, but it's likely Paleo and was found in Deerfield. Lol. I kept thinking "don't drop it, Charlie, don't drop it Charlie..."
I even handle broken morrow mt. Points with caution. I stopped allowing just anyone to hold my folsome point. I only open the case for individuals that know what they are doing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions