Big Ole Fluted Point

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those of you who subscribe to Indian Artifact Magazine(IAM) know that the November issue has a cover story about the Sugarloaf Paleo site in Deerfield, Ma. Here's the cover with a photo of editor Gary Fogelman holding the base of the largest fluted point found there in the Sept. 2013 dig by the American Society of Amateur Archaeology(ASAA), the organization run by Paleo archaeologist, and collector-friendly archaeologist Richard "Mike" Gramly. Also a photo of Dr. Gramly's 1995 monograph on the site. I had a chance this past weekend to see and hold the largest fluted point found in the New England states. Unfinished, but Mike said it "was close", and made of felsite. I'll post photos in a sec.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 233
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kindle Farmers

Sep 25, 2014
Vermont
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hiked Sugarloaf many times. I Always wondered where exactly the paleo site is located. A few smaller fluted points have been found in the area. The Guida Farm site is one of the more famous, but I also read of a paleo site that was uncovered when Westover AFB was built. I know one person who claims to have found a fluted point in a field in Deerfield. Photographic evidence is missing :dontknow:. Certainly, many more paleo sites dot the CT River valley. Some are sitting undiscovered near the surface, others buried under silt 20+ feet thick. I hope one day you get to find a fluted point even bigger than that one!

Prophecy fulfilled!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread