Big Ole Hematite or Magnetite With Possible Gold From Lytle Creek

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While sluicing I've been noticing these small rocks of magnetite and junk rusted to them and then while using the MD I found this big ass chunk. It looks like there is a small vein of gold running through it. The more I clean it up the nicer it looks. Will streak test later. Any thoughts? Smells like crap too, kinda sulfurey. IMAG0313.jpg IMAG0311.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good pics, MrL! I am hoping I can find the power source to my mineral scope so I can get UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL with rocks like that and take pics! TTC

OP
OP
M

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaned up the other side and it's definitely a vein, just not sure what the material is. Still smells like crap. According to Wiki the smell seems to come from the sulfur in hot springs.
Close Up 1.jpg Close Up2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoping to get more input on this from the community. Will take it to my Rt66goldminers club Saturday to get their thoughts.

I was thinking it could be pyrite, but why/how, could pyrite form as a vein? I can't really streak test it because there are no high points.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread