Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted this in the What Is It? forum already, but thought that perhaps people here might know if it is of Native American origin or not.

I was metal detecting at a heavily hunted out cellar hole today, and as I was leaving I noticed an interesting rock in a small collapsed stone wall near the cellar hole. I examined it, and it looked crude. It wasn't perfectly round either. My first thought was that it was a Native American mortar stone, used for grinding acorns into flour, or maybe a fire starting stone. Though I saw one a few weeks back at a different site, and the hole wasn't as deep, and was much cruder. I was determined to bring the rock home though, it weighed around 200 pounds, but I was able to roll it to my car, than lift it into the trunk. When I took it out to put it in my front yard for display, next some colonial stone hitching posts original to my house, the end of the rock (which was already cracked) broke. Luckily the area with the hole is completely fine. I'm hoping that it is a Native American stone that was found while plowing, and placed in that stone wall by someone in the 1700's or 1800's. The site was abandoned in the mid 1800's, so it is at least that old (probably not jack hammer) The hole is around 4.5" inches deep (and had around 2" of dirt in it that I had to removed before I could measure it), and seems pretty eroded. The rock itself is much wider than it is tall, and the hole is in the wider side of the rock. What do you guys think it could be? My guess is that it is either Native American, or made in the 1700's/1800's for some purpose. What do you guys think?

Meter stick in photo for size. The broken part of the stone is leaning on the intact part for the photos.

IMG_20190715_202236751.jpg IMG_20190715_202245553.jpg IMG_20190715_202331024 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
It’s interesting, but the diameter of the hole seems a little small for a mortar that deep. How far is it across the hole?

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
It’s interesting, but the diameter of the hole seems a little small for a mortar that deep. How far is it across the hole?

It's around 1.5" wide. It does seem a little smaller than most of the mortars I've seen online, I could see how removing any flour from it could be hard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread