Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Shangalang had some family obligations and couldn't make it to dig w/me, so I decided to go out on a little solo hunt. Ended up being a BIG solo hunt! Video is below. :)

I decided to focus on an area which was loaded with shredded aluminum cans, and start there, to clear it out while I was fresh. I got a musketball (.58 cal), then a fired .69, then a couple lead bits and pack rivets amongst the can shreds. Then I got a signal which was a little bouncy like the cans were. Flipped out the first shovelful of dirt and it locked right in in the silver dime range. One more scoop and I was looking at a silver in the dirt!

Dime in Dirt.JPG

The coin had a reeded edge and was smaller than a Capped Bust coin, so it had to be Seated or Barber. Most likely Seated for the Reconstruction Era site I was hunting. After blasting the coin with some water, I could see the date of 1876-S, which was the same date as an earlier Seated Dime recovered from this field.

Dime in Hand.JPG

I wonder if this site was occupied by carpetbaggers, due to the fact that the majority of the non-New Orleans minted coins we've dug in the past 3 years have come from this field. Most planters did not have that kind of wealth after the Civil War and subsequent economic collapse in South Louisiana, and it seems strange that this is the only field we've dug San Francisco and Carson City coins on--as well as a high percentage of Philadelphia coins (in comparison, 90% of the Seated coins we dig at all of our sites combined were minted in nearby New Orleans).

I was really pleased with this find, and figured I could go ahead and finish clearing out the can slaw and head home happy. Little did I know what would happen next... :)

I actually started working out of the can slaw area as I continued gridding, which was great. I picked up a couple glass buttons. There was really little in terms of good solid targets, except for an occasional modern lead bullet or pack rivet. Then I got a banging signal really deep down (Fisher F75 read depth of 8 inches, but the target was actually almost 12 inches down). I took two full scoops out, and the target was still in the hole. One more scoop and it was out. I grabbed a handful of dirt, and a LARGE silver coin slipped through my fingers and fell on top of the dirt pile!!! SILVER HALF DOLLAR!!! :hello2:

Half in Dirt.JPG

I was wondering if it was a Seated or Barber, or maybe some newer, farmer-dropped silver half (Walker or Franklin). I had a hunch it was older. Crossed my fingers and blasted it with water to sweep the dirt away without damaging the coin. It was a SEATED HALF!! 1872!! Not a bad coin. Not bent by the plow, although it has been nicked by it once or twice.

Half in Hand.JPG HDcleanfield.JPG

As many of you know, Seated Halves do not come around often. I was lucky enough to dig one last year as well, but before that I dug one in 2008, and my Seated Half before that one was all the way back in 1993! I seem to be Half Dollar lucky down here. Dug a Walker in 2012, then a Franklin and a Seated in 2013, and now another Walker and Seated already for 2014. Can't complain! I think it rained silver down in the fields here!

I did some more rows, stoked by these great silver finds. Ended up with another couple small caliber musketballs, and on one of my last rows I dug the center from a Boyd's Battery. It's a little daisy shaped center from a late 19th c. quack medical device which created a weak galvanic current for electrotherapy and was meant to be worn against the skin as a pendant. :) I've dug several of these over the years, as I recall I found 2 in Kentucky or Indiana, and Diggergirl found one here in Louisiana, and I have now dug two down here. These things seem to find me...or maybe I just know what they are and recognize them when I do recover one. 8-)

At any rate, I got home with the silver coins and cleaned them to remove the staining yet preserve the character as dug coins. Below are the before (left hand side) and after (right hand side) photos. I was pleased with how much of the rust staining came off the reverse of the seated dime.

DimeObv.JPG DimeObvCleaned.JPG

DimeRev.JPG DimeRevCleaned.JPG

And here is the 1872 Seated Half Dollar:

HalfObv.JPG HalfObvCleaned.JPG

HalfRev.JPG HalfRevCleaned.JPG

All Finds.JPG

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 28
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB . Those are some good find indeed ! Maybe the key to you finding them was your willingness to wade through the garbage ,
where others were less patient .

It's tough to get in the right mindset to get it done, but as long as I have a target to dig, rather than hearing "silent night" on my detector I'm thrilled. I don't care what it is. I just like to dig. Trash. Treasure. Whatever. It's when there are no signals that I start to get frustrated.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the big silver and the little silver. I like detecting trashy areas because most people will stay away from the trash.
D

We have a site down here that you'd love. It's a turn of the century plantation store site. So many cans everywhere it's really slow going. Made the area I was in for this hunt seem like a walk in the park. I have a hunch there's goodies to be found there, judging from the signs (pottery, glass, marbles, brick) everywhere. It's just so much work. Perhaps if you, Q, Diggergirl, Shane and I all spent an hour there sometime, we could dig a nice silver coin.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrat's, BB! I see the 'ole plow sliced her head off at the neck:tongue3:! That's OK..........she's still a beauty!! Mine mostly come out the same way............that's field hunting!
Dale

Yep, that's field hunting. Gotta take it in whatever condition it survives in. Sometimes I really miss digging in the woods. :)

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures with us .

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BOO-no x rated video this time-LOL. Although I might have said something if I had dug that OLD BIG Silver. That was a good hunt. You are lucky Molly didn't get to hunt or she might have beat you to it with her new machine. WTG & HH, Q.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BOO-no x rated video this time-LOL. Although I might have said something if I had dug that OLD BIG Silver. That was a good hunt. You are lucky Molly didn't get to hunt or she might have beat you to it with her new machine. WTG & HH, Q.

If she were there she'd probably have dug a seated DOLLAR, and then you'd have heard some x rated words! :D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Will. (Good Will hunting?):icon_scratch:
Congrats on that beautiful large silver buddy.
Thanks for shooting the vids for us to enjoy.
I'm expecting a Barber quarter from you very soon. No pressure. :laughing7:
-DUHg-

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Will. (Good Will hunting?):icon_scratch:
Congrats on that beautiful large silver buddy.
Thanks for shooting the vids for us to enjoy.
I'm expecting a Barber quarter from you very soon. No pressure. :laughing7:
-DUHg-

I've devised an ultimatum for the Detecting Gods. If the barber quarter hasn't made its way into my pouch by January 2016 then I'm going to sell my detector and retire. Now that's a good threat! :D

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The master strikes again! Great stuff, man. As always. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread