Big silver, big disappointment, my first Chinese coin and 26.5 grams of....

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't posted much lately. Don't know why, just haven't really been in the mood. So here are some of my recent finds...

About 3 weeks ago I was at a local school that was built in the late 50's. I have never found anything old there so needless to say I was surprised when I pulled this out of the hole. I immediately questioned it's authenticity because of the corrosion. I planned to post it to TNet to ask if it might be real but never got that far. After some quick research I noticed it had a seam on the rim from where it was cast. Oh well, I didn't ever really think it was real, but I held out hope it might be. Bummer.

A couple weeks ago I was on an empty lot. Found a wheatie but not much else. As I was walking up near the street, I saw something shiny in the grass. I thought it was a bracelet but turned out to be a heavy necklace. Big silver baby! Wave it over the detector... hmmm doesn't ring up like silver. More of a mid tone. White gold baby! Uhhh, no. Turned out to be 26.5 grams of plated copper. :sadsmiley: My luck continues.

That same weekend I went to another lot that I just knew was going to be a honey hole. It seems I was late to the game as I literally only found 1 "coin". 1!! At first I thought it was a clad half dollar. Then I saw there was no reeded edge. So my next thought was large cent. Turned out to be a George Washington Bicentennial 1732-1932 Commemorative Token. Not valuable, but kinda cool.

I have a friend that lives in an area with homes built between the 1930's and 1950's. She told me about a house 1 block over from hers that was foreclosed a few years ago. The mortgage company has done nothing to it since then and it's almost to the point of being condemned. The grass in the small yard was about 3 feet high. Since the yard is so small, I figured I could use my string trimmer and detect it so I went over there Saturday. The neighbors were outside when I drove up. I walked over and spoke to them and let them know what I was going to do. They basically said, "not out house, we don't care." I found a couple wheaties and then got a nice 94 signal on the Deus. Well, I assumed it was can slaw like usual. Turned out to be a 1935 Walker half dollar. Because there was other metal in the hole, I was off on my plug and scratched the back of it. (Just like my other half dollar I found.:BangHead:) At least this one is fairly worn so I didn't ruin a mint coin or anything. Still frustrating though. I "polished" out most of the scratch so I don't have to be reminded every time I look at it. This is my first Walker.

Thanks to the "Charlotte Silver Mafia" for giving me the inspiration to tackle the yard work to be able to detect. :laughing7: The Walker was found at the bottom of the little side hill.

After work today I went back to the same house for a short hunt. I had already covered it pretty well, but figured it wouldn't hurt to try again. I ended up finding this Chinese coin. It was pretty toasty, but I was able to clean it up a little. I'm going to post it in the what is it section to see if I can get some more info on it.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for looking.

Upvote 6

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can match the figures on the Chinese coins to some online to find a match, but it may be guess work because that coin is very worn. I found a 1700s Chinese coin recently that wasn't nearly that worn.

Maiden2112

Jul 10, 2014
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 305
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you got some pretty cool finds there. I enjoyed reading it.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to the "Charlotte Silver Mafia" for giving me the inspiration to tackle the yard work to be able to detect. The Walker was found at the bottom of the little side hill.
Congratulations BR on your finds. BTW I know a certain CSM member that would have been glad to help you mow the grass for a silver dime or two.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your first Walker. Let me see... that's two silver half dollars in three months, right? Seems like you are doing pretty well to me.

As for the grass cutting, I don't cut my own lawn, but I will cut for silver coins!

Congrats again Bill, and the very best of luck to you!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the grass cutting, I don't cut my own lawn, but I will cut for silver coins!
Hmmm...I didn't mention any names CT

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm...I didn't mention any names CT

Bladerunner mentioned "CSM" in his original post too. I know who you guys are talking about... I may be paranoid, but that doesn't mean you are not talking about me!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bladerunner mentioned "CSM" in his original post too. I know who you guys are talking about... I may be paranoid, but that doesn't mean you are not talking about me!

Well I guess since we have pics to back it up.....

tom.jpeg

Bladerunner mentioned "CSM" in his original post too.
Just goes to show you how infamous the CSM has become

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice big silver! Congrats!

I know how that kind of luck goes, seems to be my life story. I spotted a shinny gold necklace laying in a parking lot, gold? Oh heck no! Junk!
So I refuse to get excited when I find things, I'll do my happy dance at home, the neighbors think I'm a nut anyhow. Have to keep up appearances. :laughing7:

There have been a few of those fake cob coins found.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I shouldn't complain. I have found more silver this year than last year and my first 2 half dollars. Karma just wanted to make sure I don't get too uppity by making me scratch both of them. Okay... I know it's not karma, but I have to place the blame on something other than my own carelessness! :laughing7:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Walker. Chinese coins ain't my thing but at least it's old. I know how things can be a bummer. I've found fake gold coins before, too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions