Big Silver Coin Knife

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This morning I met up with HighVDI for a hunt at a ballfield in Washington PA. I came across a shallow target with a 99VDI on the ATP, I rarely get those kind of signals. I flip the plug and see this beauty looking up at me. I never seen or knew these coin knives existed. Unfortunately the corroded metal pins were barely holding it together and it came apart. According to worthpoint it's a genuine coin. The description on the worthpoint link below matches what I found.

Screenshot_2018-06-16-15-05-54.png
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/eloi-pernet-coin-knife-1868-silver-5-francs-coin
Screenshot_2018-06-16-15-05-40.png
Since it came apart I was able to put both halves of the coin together and we have a match!

Maybe one of my fellow tnet'ers can help me with these questions.

1) When were these made?
2) Is it repairable? If so, how much might it cost?

Screenshot_2018-06-16-20-51-16.png
My other interesting find of the day was this old ornate piece. I think it's copper.

Screenshot_2018-06-16-21-16-45.png
I find a lot of these personalized good luck tokens in Western PA.

Otherwise, a random wheatie and about $2 in clad kept me busy for the rest of the 4 hour hunt.

Good luck out there!

Upvote 40

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fascinating find and an excellent hunt for you - congrats! :occasion14:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That knife is right up there for coolest thing I've seen here. I'd say a good jeweler wouldn't charge you much for a few rivets or screws. Heck yeah, put it back together. Nice hunt!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Wow!! Weren't you saying just yesterday that you've never found a silver dollar? This might be even better. Congrats!!

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is Really Cool !!

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That knife is right up there for coolest thing I've seen here. I'd say a good jeweler wouldn't charge you much for a few rivets or screws. Heck yeah, put it back together. Nice hunt!

I'm already on it. I plan on getting some quotes and hopefully repairing it soon. I found other ones online that had a cigar cutter, those ones are sweeter.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That thing is a real beauty. Pics don't do it justice! Congrats on the big silver and I can't wait to see this thing all restored.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool finds - and a very unique coin!

I love finding many things, even pennies, but the unique finds are the greatest finds.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
On second thought, I'm going to nominate this find as a BANNER!

I've never seen anything like this. I hope you can get it repaired!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find! VERY unique, I've never heard of or even seen one of these, so huge congrat on that save. The few times I've got a 99 on my ATP/Max were basically huge chunks of lead and/or overload signals, some ppl have been known to pass these up, glad u didnt. Whatever you decide to do with it, plz keep us updated. I also LUV the star or badge looking item, my two fave words...OLD and ORNATE...Ddf.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a truly unique find! 1800’s silver, foreign silver, big 5 Francs, coin knife thingy... ultimate cool find. Does the ball field have any history? Was the land an old homestead at one point? Washington PA is super old with lots of history. I’m going to have vote BANNER for this one! I would get it restored as well. Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a truly unique find! 1800’s silver, foreign silver, big 5 Francs, coin knife thingy... ultimate cool find. Does the ball field have any history? Was the land an old homestead at one point? Washington PA is super old with lots of history. I’m going to have vote BANNER for this one! I would get it restored as well. Congrats!!!

I honestly didn't research it. I just went down for a hunt not expecting anything. HighVDI has hit the field a few times. He found a Largie, some silver dimes, and some silver jewelry. I did a quick historic aerials check and it was a baseball field as early as 1952 and probably before that. I found my goodies on the edges of the field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions