Big Silver from the Park!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I had the itch to get out Friday after work. It was rainy and cold (30's) but I knew it would clear out the park. I headed out to an old park that we have done well at. Here is an artist's drawing of the park around 1910.

Postcard1910Park.jpg

I worked an open field and found a couple deep wheat pennies. Then I decided to try going off the beaten path into the overgrowth (area we have not hit as hard). The detector was falsing a lot in the overgrowth and it was very wet but I managed to get a good strong signal – almost too good. Dug down a plug and found a muddy big sized coin. It had a lot of mud but I could tell it was a Walker! :icon_sunny:
WalkeronBoot.jpg

Checked around a little more but was satisfied with my find and headed home. I washed up the Walker and set it out for Nate to see when he came home from school. The look on his face when he walked past the kitchen counter and saw the Walker sitting there with my other finds was priceless. He was like, “Whaaatt?!”

WalkerBack.jpg

Saturday we went back to the park Nate found the seated last weekend. We started in a new spot. The soil was very mineralized and coupled with all the rain the detectors were behaving badly again. Nate did manage to find a Buffalo nickel. We tried some other places in the park. No a lot of targets. Found some older wheats, bullets, pocket knives, etc.

Homesabovehill800.jpg

The neighborhood here is not the best. Lots of abandoned houses.

HomieHouse.jpg

Since 2005 home prices in Cleveland have dropped an average of 48%. What was funny was when we were hunting up near these houses a black guy walked by and called Nate a “Homie”. :laughing7:

Wikipedia's definition:
Homie (less frequently, homey), is a contraction of the American slang word "homeboy" which became prevalent among some of the youth in the African American and Mexican American communities starting in the late 1960's and continuing up to the present, particularly in the hip hop subculture.

So after a while we headed back to our old faithful park. Armed now with my small coil and better weather, I worked the same area I found the Walker the previous day and found a silver Quarter. It was not two feet from where the Walker had been found under an old apple tree. :thumbsup:

AppleTree.jpg

Walker turned out to be a 1917. The Quarter was a 1940 so the two coins were most likely dropped in the early 40's.

Allthestuff640.jpg

Walker800.jpg

HH all and good luck,

Bob

Upvote 0

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Sweet finds!! Theres alot of walkers coming out lately. Looks like you have alot of potential in those sites! 8)

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on that big coin. Did you scratch it? Hope not. Nice anyway.

SKD
WeDigOhio

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds Mirage keep those silver pics coming.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love the big silver. Nice Job!!

Peak190

Apr 23, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212x,Deleon ,Cibola,Tejon,Cortez,MXT,GTI2500

scdetector

Feb 27, 2006
South Eastern,US
Detector(s) used
Fisher ID Excel, Tesoro Cibola, CZ-7A Pro
Hey, Nice finds especially the silver!! Sure theres more waiting to be found. Looks like a big difference in the park since 1910. Keep it up!! Charles

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
big silver is right ! excellent finds congrats :thumbsup:

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Bub the Man,

Nice Walker, bud! You are an awesome detectorist, dude!

By the way, is Danimal still detecting? ??? :D

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's what I'm talking about Bob....the overgrowth pic's :thumbsup:Great job on the big silver,they have to look so good coming out of the hole,I wouldn't know :( Glad you got out today and Congrat's.By the way the bell I found yesterday doesn't have any marking's.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the walker Homie "B". I'd love to find a large silver like that some day.
Detectin' in the hood now, huh? That could have just as easily been a JJ Walker in that park! :thumbsup: Dyno-mite!!!
Some great finds Bob. Thanks for the old postcard park picture.
Doug-E-Fresh

Attachments

• JJ Walker.jpg
    JJ Walker.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 975

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Way to go on the Walker, Bob. Now get yourself into the back yards of some of those abandoned houses! I love the picture of the Walker sitting on your shoe!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread