Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Treasurenet!

My dad had a softball game at the old local park. I have been MD'ing it for a year and a half and been quite please, a few pieces of silver, many wheats, and bunches of trinkets. However, i still had stuff to find ;) Clad kept popping up right and left. All the kids have left except one and i got a half dollar/dollar signal. Usually these are trash, but i try to dig everything. I plug the ground with my trusty camp shovel and used my pinpionter to figure out where is was. It was just beneath the dirt at the bottom of the hole. I pushed the dirt away and saw a shiny disk. At first i thought it was a token or a chunk of aluminum. I popped it out and a coin shape flipped out. I picked it up and just about had a heat attack. It was an 1898 silver Barber Half Dollar!!! I controlled my excitement and told the kid to keep quite and i sent him away with an old Canadian cent. I MD a bit more and found 1 and a half keys and a Chuck E. Cheese token.

Attachments

• IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 899
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 886
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 899
Upvote 0
OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
history hunter said:
Outstanding barber half.How many have you found so far?

This is my only coin from that period...it must have just fallen out of the sky, because i have only found 5 or 6 relics that are even close to that date. My theory is that it is just one of many coins from a grove or moved cemetery from the 100 year old church across the street.

ELVISFAN said:
NICE BUT IT LOOKS LIKE LADY LIBERTY GOT PUNCHED IN THE FACE..I FOUND AN 1907-D BARBER HALF 4/14/06 MYSELF :D

ya, i didn't do it however, so i don't feel that bad about it.

I'm so happy i found it. I haven't found a V nickel, indian, or any other barber. I have only found a few teen wheats, an old ladies' buckle, an 1800's coffin handle (I'm starting to think i should rebury that :o ), and a few chunks of stuff that look old. I'm amazed that i missed this for so long. It was a solid hit in a park I've been md'ing for a year an a half, but only a few week with the DFX....which i have to credit this discovery too

Thanks T-Net for all the replies

HH
-GC

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
WOW! Amazing find GC!

I am still waiting for my first silver (or silver half)

CONGRADULATIONS!

-CC

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Very Sweet. ;D ;D Hard to believe, huh? I know when I found my first Barber Half I just stared at it in unbelief. You just never know what is going to turn up where.

Keep at it. Sounds like that park has a lot of potential.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG GC!!!!

Big Silver is always nice to find and such a thrill to see the big shiny disc in the soil when dug up. May a few more come your way!!
Don

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great find and story !!

vp

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Horse isn't quite dead yet ;) Great finds, Love the silver. I can't wait to find my own. Congrats. HH

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice half,

They are exciting to find

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread