Big Sur, Ca. Need ID on type and material please.

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey All! It’s been a bit but I’ve got one that has stumped me. Found in interior valley in Big Sur. I’m used to finding chert around here and this is very different. Kind of course. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554611339.767907.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554611354.900283.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554611367.396112.jpg This was found in an old, sandy washout. It’s got a bit of tip damage and the stem is broken off. Cool pattern on the material. I’m not sure if type, age or material.

Upvote 0

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it possible that the base is intact and the point is broken off? I ask the because I see what appears to be slight shoulders (Clear in pic #2). Do you see any grinding at either end? Also, though it does look weathered, there appears to be the remnants of serrations along the blade that might tell us something. It could be made of a type of shale?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CHUDs

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definite remains of serrations on the edges. No grinding that I can see. It seemed to me that the shoulders were more towards the tip and that it tapered towards the base.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread