Big Surprise in the Woods Yesterday!!!

Kibkibble

Oct 6, 2013
Northern WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA Ultra 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all! I just have to tell you what happened yesterday when I was out swinging....
Ok, I was getting ready to wrap up my day. I was tired so I decided to set down for minute and send a text. I was on a slight incline (down slope) that curved around in front of me. All of a sudden I heard the leave moving down below in the distance. It kept getting closer and closer to me. I thought.....it was a deer and it would see me and run away. With my left hand on my iPhone and my right on my 9mm Beretta (always carry in the woods) I became a statue. I was wearing full camo so I thought whatever was coming there was a good chance if I remained completely still it would not see me. Within 30 seconds a coyote came trotting around the hillside, from right to left RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! Within 25 feet of me! Too dang close!!!
Too my surprise he did not notice me one bit.............until he picked up my scent downwind. In a blink of an eye he did an immediate 360 and almost ran right into me without knowing I was there. Luckily he was gone like lightning! Freaked me out big time!

That was my find yesterday!!!: :eek:

Last edited:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a very similar experience in New Mexico once. Thanks for shareing !

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where in WV are you located?

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks like those camo's work..huh?

I live in an urban area some 30 miles south of Los Angeles. Back some 25 years ago when I moved here there were a few empty fields around and a nature preserve of about 50 acres with a large pond. I know that preserve had a lot of ducks but was surprised one day. A block from the preserve and two blocks from home strolling casually across the field a coyote. He glanced at me...then dismissed me and casually continued on towards the preserve. Saw him a few more times on my daily jogs but when homes were put in he disappeared.

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
You got to be wary of coyotes, if they don't turn and run fast enough, a flee might get on you. Never heard of it happening but it could. Never heard of one getting that close either, but that would be cool.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt coyotes on a regular basis. If the wind is in your favor and you are totally still it is not uncommon to have them come VERY close. When I say "not uncommon" I mean I have had it happen a handful of times spending the majority of my life as an avid hunter and outdoorsman. Using a distress call, a whole different ballgame as you are ringing the dinner bell, I have nearly had them run me over. Started to post some pics as I have one that is a hoss but may be offensive to a few.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, yeah. Sure, sure. Where's the pics? No pics, never happened. ;)

LOL :)

Sure glad his intent was to get AWAY from you! Glad you weren't hurt.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
this is bothersome...what are you doing in the woods if you draw a pistol when you hear a noise?
are the woods required to hush and settle down when you arrive?
beside a drawn pistol{ we'll get back to this}
you have a cell phone? how can you call it the woods, if you have cell reception?
I don't even have cell phone use at the library...it rings, I have to walk outside and down the around the building to get cell phone reception.
now...a phone and a drawn pistol...what would have happened if a child playing cowboys and Indians jumped up and yelled bang...?

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Anyone caught making noise in the woods will be shot....survivors will be shot again lol

Maybe the coyote made a 180 turn and not a 360, otherwise he'd be running in circles

I sometimes feel better wearing hunter orange during deer season, not sure what id be wearing where you hunt

Flathead25

Mar 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is bothersome...what are you doing in the woods if you draw a pistol when you hear a noise?
are the woods required to hush and settle down when you arrive?
beside a drawn pistol{ we'll get back to this}
you have a cell phone? how can you call it the woods, if you have cell reception?
I don't even have cell phone use at the library...it rings, I have to walk outside and down the around the building to get
cell phone reception.
now...a phone and a drawn pistol...what would have happened if a child playing cowboys and Indians jumped up and yelled bang...?

I have 4G service 4 miles out in the Atlantic Ocean when striper fishing. Should I stop calling it the "ocean" since I have cell service? Ialways thought it was pretty responsible to have a cell phone on you if you were by yourself....

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in NePa, we have more cell towers than houses in some areas, it seems. I got a call tonight across from a field which shows deer, pheasants, bear, fox and other wildlife regularly. Most people here ( me being the exception ) carry a handgun while in our woods because of bears, snakes and other animals.

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and Tesoro original silver saber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting in woods can be hazardous to your health, I was detecting a few summers back staring at the ground beneath my coil then I see camouflage??? Ohh ok, it's a cottonmouth snake! Wound up ready to strike! One more step and I'd been in pain.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at least it wasn't a Frankenstein or werewolf

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was a teenager I was out in the woods and my dogs jumped a deer. I watched it cut through the woods and then take a half turn and it ran over my foot as I was standing there. It happened so quickly that it didn't dawn on me at first that a couple of more inches and I would have been really hurt.

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have had an empty Berretta in one hand and pics of a dead coyote on my iphone in the other hand.

Yote season is open year round where I live. Woulda had a fresh pelt up in the garage! Haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread