"Big" targets

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a "big" target in an area of rougher surf that I've made two attempts at trying to recover with no success. One of these days, when the conditions are right the thing is coming out if I have to employ half the people on the beach to do it! The curiosity has grown into an objective now! :laughing7:

Upvote 0

CSMPEREZ

Sep 9, 2012
St. Pete, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 and II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a few of these I've had to abandon. My theory is they are are anchors people either couldn't get out or improperly tied to the boat. I found a rope one time still tied to it but the anchor was so deep you couldn't get at it.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Retrieved what looks like a groser cleat of a catapillar thread, and an aluminum can on end it dry sand, different locations, at 36 inches. Curiosity almost killed the cat, when one of the hughe holes dug started to cave in.

City workers found a live land mine nearby and had it detonated after evacuating the beach. I don't know if it was the blast from the detonator or the mine but it was loud and rattled windows one block away.

Also, there are the rusted iron drain pipes, which are not nulled.

Lots of deep large hot volcanic rocks in Hawaii

And the list goes on!

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive got one of those targets at a freshwater lake and I try to get it out every once in a while...maybe this Summer.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not w an MD--but when I was young-several times each summer I would find what seemed like a round metal hatch, It had two handles. I would submerge and Try to open it. Only 4-6' down in Lewes Bay.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one of these deep large targets that kept bugging me an one day I dug it up. It was a brass rudder from a Chris Craft that got sheared off.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My big target was a steel belted radial truck tire at about 4" deep in wet sand at low tide. I got to it but I couldn't get it out of the hole. I guess some other hunter will have to figure that one out..... Maybe with a back hoe. Of course, if it had been a chest full of gold, I probably would have found a way to get it out..... LOL HH to all, Papa

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BS..... hopefully its not a lawn chair. I have no reason why people throw them out there but ive dug up my share of deep ones just to get them out of the water. Ive also hit the crab traps and anchors. But those lawn chairs are the worst just because unlike a can they make a huge foot print out there.

Dew

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found chairs as well, I don't think they are thrown out there, I think heavy surf digs them up in the wet sand and drags them out...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get that Trex I just ordered I am going to go back and find out what some of those dang things are.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BS..... hopefully its not a lawn chair. I have no reason why people throw them out there but ive dug up my share of deep ones just to get them out of the water. Ive also hit the crab traps and anchors. But those lawn chairs are the worst just because unlike a can they make a huge foot print out there.

Dew

I have no idea what it is. The closest I have come so far is feeling it with my scoop, very solid and tones with a real growl. :laughing7: Too small to be a chair. I'm guessing a big hunk of.....I have no idea? I almost got the scoop under it last time I was out but I just couldn't get there all the way, too rough and the darn hole kept caving in. :BangHead: All I know is that it appears to be dense, heavy, and, "chunky". I'm guessing about the size of a football or basketball. :dontknow:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one of my deep mystery objects wasn't super deep and turned out to be a radial tire. you gotta satisfy your curiosity!
chuck.

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few weeks back I found a 5 pound barbell plate about two feet deep, it was a pain to recover.

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably off a boat I found a prop once and the other day a boat horn, go get it you never know could be a treasure chest !!!

gaboynfla

Nov 19, 2012
Edgewater Fla.
Detector(s) used
B H Sharpshooter 11
Garret Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have me want'n to know what's down there now.
I'll be up there this weekend,if You really want help let me know here,and I'll help You dig it up!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have me want'n to know what's down there now.
I'll be up there this weekend,if You really want help let me know here,and I'll help You dig it up!

I'm going to be grounded at home for a while, probably another week or so. Turned 55 on Saturday so have some decisions to investigate.

gaboynfla

Nov 19, 2012
Edgewater Fla.
Detector(s) used
B H Sharpshooter 11
Garret Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Happy Birthday,and good luck with the decision making.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Except for my oldest daughter, who has a choice of being 1/4 as old - born last day of Feb, I didn't know you had a deciscion to make about your age, except to lie, or not say how old you are - forever young!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different twist this year, "Brownie" cake and ice cream, a little microwave and it was sort of like a birthday hot fudge sundae, which was way better then cake! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread