Big teepee canyon agate

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out this weekend and found this monster. It was bigger than a football. I went to town and had it cut but unfortunately it didn't blow up inside like I thought it would. Still a keeper. Sorry I didnt wet it down before the pics
0213161714.jpg 0213161715.jpg ( 0213161715a.jpg 0213161715b.jpg 0213161716.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehh :) Cant always strike it great on a cut but I'd say its a keeper just now you have some flat spots that wont let it roll of the shelf!

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
Very nice piece. Great colors. That looks like great material for cabs.
I once had a softball sized solid agate cut into thin slabs that let light through. I actually used one in a stained glass window I made.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Exciting find. Is collecting allowed in the Badlands?
I remember being there and wondering about that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rainorshine

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teepee canyon agates are found west of custer
Sd on national forest service land. Hunting is allowed. The badlands are a national park and off limits. Fairburn agates are found there and in the buffalo gap grasslands, as well as other areas. Hunting is allowed in the grasslands.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Teepee canyon agates are found west of custer
Sd on national forest service land. Hunting is allowed. The badlands are a national park and off limits. Fairburn agates are found there and in the buffalo gap grasslands, as well as other areas. Hunting is allowed in the grasslands.

I remember some amazing turtle fossils from the bad lands when I was there in the early 80's. I went into the badlands to the point of loosing traction. Then the woman I was with was attacked by some insect. It was so bad she stripped down to her skivies to get rid of them.
Just advice... If you got a predisposition to go to the bad lands creatures awate you and bug spray don't work.

Jeeze why do they call them the Bad Lands?? Because they are BAD!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread