Biggest Ming Wreck ever found

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
I Love the way they spell shipwrecks..."Schiffswracks" 8)

Yea, no English translation options. How many Germans we got on the board anyway ?

itmaiden

Cappy Z. said:
no spechen de deuche....

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
If you judge by the scant remains they have managed to uncover both in the Cape Verde islands an in Mozambique... I pretty much doubt your money would be wisely invested in another one of their "expeditions"... ;)

Batavia

Jul 29, 2006
Paris/Jakarta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alexandre said:
If you judge by the scant remains they have managed to uncover both in the Cape Verde islands an in Mozambique... I pretty much doubt your money would be wisely invested in another one of their "expeditions"... ;)

Strange...! Same title and announcement from a certain Michael Hatcher a few month ago. Extract:

"a unique discovery - A letter from Captain Michael Hatcher, June 2009.
To our interested investors,

Over the last eight months we have been searching in the Java Sea for a sunken wreck. Fisherman have been
catching their nets on it for the last year or two and occasionally recovering Ming porcelain that were caught in the nets.
We recently managed to get a GPS position on the wreck and went out on one of the fishing boats to personally dive and inspect the wreck and the cargo.

This discovery consists of one of the largest amount of Ming porcelain that I have ever seen or has been discovered previously to date on record.

The length of the wreck is approx 58 metres long by 28 metres wide and the porcelain is up to 8 metres high. In my estimation this find consists approximately of over a million pieces of porcelain. Along with my Indonesian partners we have officially secured the wreck with a 3 mile exclusive zone around it at present. The wreck is well guarded by my employees and Navy personnel and we currently have our survey vessel out finishing the survey. Video footage is available from our inital dive and includes footage of some recovered samples. We have recovered various pieces from the wreck whereby primary photographs taken were sent to London to the world’s leading expert for Chinese Ming dynasty porcelain at Bonham’s auction house...

...We are now in the process of mobilising the necessary equipment and personnel to start salvage operations of the cargo. All necessary documents for work proceedings are being lodged in house.

We envisaged that salvaging shall start commencement latest by end of August 2009. I am confident that it will take six months to salvage all the cargo and a further six months to promote it before it goes to auction in London with Christies Auction House.

We require USD $5 Million to complete the salvage, which includes buying and converting a barge to be the main recovery vessel and one tug boat for towing and positioning the four anchors to hold the barge over the wreck at the completion of the project. The barge and tug and other equipment purchased shall be sold off and the proceeds returned to the investment syndicate.

It’s hard to accurately estimate the cargos current market value internationally, although with high demand for
this type of merchandise in China’s economy we can conservatively estimate a worth well in excess of USD200 million.
A percentage of proceeds from books, films and sponsorship will be distributed back to investors as a bonus and the first right of refusal on the unique opportunity to invest in the retrieval of the Flor del la Mar.

Regards,
Mike Hatcher"

So, Arqueonautas, a self named "underwater archaeology" company, working with the wildest treasure hunter ever !!? For a reminder, Hatcher's last project in Indonesia was on a Chinese ceramics/porcelains ship "Tek Sing". It was already a very large cargo retrieved at the time (1999/2000). Thousands of these ceramics were just broken by the team on the spot !! Not to flood the market... And the auction done in Stuttgart (Germany) just left the unfortunate investors with their lost hopes of fortune, as the money invested on the project was barely covered.

Probably another scam in process...! People getting big salaries, going in expensive hotels etc... etc... No problem, if at the end, the cargo is unfortunately not worth what it was supposed to be.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Batavia, Arquenauticas is not working with Hatcher. Their wreck is in Mozambique.

Batavia

Jul 29, 2006
Paris/Jakarta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salvor6 said:
Batavia, Arquenauticas is not working with Hatcher. Their wreck is in Mozambique.

All right...! So the "biggest Ming porcelain wreck" is in Mozambique ??? Let us know if you have further details, so we don't make any confusion... :icon_scratch:

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
Over the last eight months we have been searching in the Java Sea for a sunken wreck.

All right...! So the "biggest Ming porcelain wreck" is in Mozambique

Far as I knew - the Java Sea always was in Indonesia!

Sometimes I scratch my head and ask myself if some of you could find the cheeks of your own butt with both hands?

It might well be a scam but sometimes I have trouble following the rationale of the thread at all. :tongue3:

Cheers

Batavia

Jul 29, 2006
Paris/Jakarta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky Eddie said:
Over the last eight months we have been searching in the Java Sea for a sunken wreck.

All right...! So the "biggest Ming porcelain wreck" is in Mozambique

Far as I knew - the Java Sea always was in Indonesia!

Sometimes I scratch my head and ask myself if some of you could find the cheeks of your own butt with both hands?

It might well be a scam but sometimes I have trouble following the rationale of the thread at all. :tongue3:

Cheers

Luckie Eddie... You must read between the lines ! It's not given to everybody though. I must also admit that it is sometimes not so easy when you don't know about the whole story... Long story !!

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
It's weird how they have no real photos or footage for it. Recovered porcelin is tricky: it may have all the glaze burned off of it and not be worth much at all, or be cracked, chipped, or broken.

From what is reported, the beeswax group at Nehalem Bay Oregon may be pretty close to finding the wreck of the San Christo De Burgos or San Francisco De Xavier off the north west point of Oswald State Park between the beach there and Falcon Rock. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce it sometime this summer, or find it and don't announce it.

On one beach area they found hundreds of pieces of broken china. I think they said they had 1400 pieces now. This would be a strong indicator for me from what I know of shipwreck china being moved to beach by wave and sand action. As has probably been pointed out before after they lost the San Christo De Burgos, some burned pieces of wood were found during the search in the Caroline Islands. Of the post 1700 tsunami San Francisco De Xavier, "not a piece has ever been found," the Spanish reported.

I wanted to contact these guys regarding some of the potsherds they found at the site. I'm pretty sure I have seen a few of them at the San Agustin site and want to confirm what they are. If anybody has decent contact info for Team Beeswax, please send me a pm.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Three years have passed.... where is the "biggest Ming wreck ever found"? At the newspaper archive and in someone's imagination, I am guessing..

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mien Gott! I hope they are charter members so they can advertising being able to buy shares!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread