Bilge Mark?

Whitt

Feb 7, 2013
Found this number amount the remains of an old sailing ship. It's approximately 5" high and made of lead. At first I thought it was a number marking a cabin door. A friend of mine suggested it was a "bilge mark" which I guess would have shown the depth of water in the ships bilge? Anyone ever heard of such a thing or seen numbers made out of lead like this?

Attachments

• image-143661881.jpg
    image-143661881.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 124

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this number amount the remains of an old sailing ship. It's approximately 5" high and made of lead. At first I thought it was a number marking a cabin door. A friend of mine suggested it was a "bilge mark" which I guess would have shown the depth of water in the ships bilge? Anyone ever heard of such a thing or seen numbers made out of lead like this?

I think the "bilge marker" idea is very plausible.
Why is the number made of lead??
Lead is generally quite a special purpose metal. It is very soft and malleable and obviously heavy. None of these attributes seem to warrant it being used as a cabin door number. There are cheaper, more durable and more aesthetically pleasing alternatives.
Lead is also highly resistant to corrosion and marine growth.
It might have been used on a piling or wharf to indicate water depth.
I guess what I am trying to say is that the number seems likely to have been designed to spend a good deal of time immersed in salt-water.

OP
OP
Whitt

Whitt

Feb 7, 2013
Right, I think if it was a number on a cabin door it would have been made of brass. Since it was found within the wreckage, I think the bilge mark theory seems very plausible. Wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this before?

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
I'd say it's a draft marker. Attached a photo of one of three I recovered off what I believe was the wreck an 1894 British bark. Recovered numbers 6, 7 & 8 (#8 is photo). About the same size as yours and made of lead. Usually attached to the side of the bow. Indicated where the ship sat in the water.
IMG_3692_zpsc1aa7028.jpg

OP
OP
Whitt

Whitt

Feb 7, 2013
That makes more sense. I'm gonna guess if you had 8' of water in your bilge that you would be in trouble!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread