Bilge pumps, are any worthwhile or alternatives?

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got an rdh mini highbanker. It's ok but could use a stronger pump. This is the second bilge pump I've used and it is finicky like the last one. They work on and off and when they stop working it's for no apparent reason. Anyway is there anything not gas powered that works better or a good brand to go with? I would just go with gas but I'm trying to move to the California motherload and figure I need something recirculating to stay legal.

Upvote 0

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
If you want a pump that works and will last, get a Jabsco Water Puppy. The 12 volt model is Jabsco Part number 18660-0121. The pump has a bronze body. It is a self priming and impellers and gaskets are readily available. If you happen to run it dry for an extended period, only the rubber impeller has to be replaced, you don't end up trashing the whole pump. It has a 360 gallon per hour capacity. It will outlast 50 of the cheap bilge pumps. Not cheap, mine was just shy of $140 on eBay but well worth it.

Last edited:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got an rdh mini highbanker. It's ok but could use a stronger pump. This is the second bilge pump I've used and it is finicky like the last one. They work on and off and when they stop working it's for no apparent reason. Anyway is there anything not gas powered that works better or a good brand to go with? I would just go with gas but I'm trying to move to the California motherload and figure I need something recirculating to stay legal.
As I understand it, anything with a motor, highbankers included, are illegal unless you are a certain distance from the river and that includes electric pumps.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As I understand it, anything with a motor, highbankers included, are illegal unless you are a certain distance from the river and that includes electric pumps.

If that were true there would be a law that says exactly that. There is no such law so run all the motors you want. IF there were such a law boats, cars, motorcycles, electric generation dams, water plants and a lot of farming would be illegal near water.

Sometimes the obvious facts point to the truth. In fact in logic there is such a concept it's called Occams Razor. You may know this as the KISS principle. Apply a little logic and you will see right through nonsense like motors near water are illegal.

If you don't like logic then you will have to come up with a law that states that motors can't be used near water. Good luck with that. Watch out for that boat wake and don't back up into that oncoming car when you move out of the way while you are using your non motorized pan.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
crumbaker

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yup, which is why it has to be recirculating.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a pump that works and will last, get a Jabsco Water Puppy. The 12 volt model is Jabsco Part number 18660-0121. The pump has a bronze body. It is a self priming and impellers and gaskets are readily available. If you happen to run it dry for an extended period, only the rubber impeller has to be replaced, you don't end up trashing the whole pump. It has a 360 gallon per hour capacity. It will outlast 50 of the cheap bilge pumps. Not cheap, mine was just shy of $140 on eBay but well worth it.

6 gallons a minute...less with head pressure or restriction, is not gonna run much of anything helpful

OP
OP
crumbaker

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spend some money on a 3500 or higher bilge

Rule is a good brand

Rule 4000 Non-Automatic Bilge Pump - 24V

Could you run that on a standard 12v tractor battery though?

edit: I wonder if those Johnson's are any good, I think a 1250- 1500 would be the proper water flow for this thing, it's not that large, and do a lot of people just run standard highbankers in streams in California? I though it was illegal.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its 24 v you would need two 12 v batteries

heres a 12 v johnson

your not running a hi banker in a stream it is a power sluice.

your allowed to sluice ...your allowed to have a motor....you do the math

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If that were true there would be a law that says exactly that. There is no such law so run all the motors you want. IF there were such a law boats, cars, motorcycles, electric generation dams, water plants and a lot of farming would be illegal near water.

Sometimes the obvious facts point to the truth. In fact in logic there is such a concept it's called Occams Razor. You may know this as the KISS principle. Apply a little logic and you will see right through nonsense like motors near water are illegal.

If you don't like logic then you will have to come up with a law that states that motors can't be used near water. Good luck with that. Watch out for that boat wake and don't back up into that oncoming car when you move out of the way while you are using your non motorized pan.

Heavy Pans
Sorry you missed the point, this is about mining and it is not legal to use motorized or mechanized mining equipment within a certain area near a river in California. If that is not true please for all us Ca. miners prove me wrong. Many on this site have said the same thing and a certain club I belong too also will not use motorized mining equipment for mining on there outings. Believe me I hope I am wrong.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry you missed the point, this is about mining and it is not legal to use motorized or mechanized mining equipment within a certain area near a river in California. If that is not true please for all us Ca. miners prove me wrong. Many on this site have said the same thing and a certain club I belong too also will not use motorized mining equipment for mining on there outings. Believe me I hope I am wrong.

No one can prove a your claim to be false because your claim contains no evidence that what you say is true. You made the claim (twice now)
it is not legal to use motorized or mechanized mining equipment within a certain area near a river in California
it's up to you to prove that claim. That may be your opinion but until you can produce a law declaring the use of "motorized or mechanized mining equipment" illegal it's nothing but a claim without proof. Welcome to the internet.
:occasion14:

If it were true and you had produced a link to the California Code banning "motorized or mechanized mining equipment within a certain area near a river in California" to support your opinion it would be a different matter. We could discuss that. Until you do produce this imaginary law I, and others, will rely on the fact that there is no evidence of such law in the California Code.

You based your opinion on something. If that something was California law it should be easy to point us to this law. The law is public and available on the internet within the California Code. If, as you say, this is a California mining law it should be pretty easy to find it in the California Code governing mining. I don't find any such law there. Maybe you do?

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No one can prove a your claim to be false because your claim contains no evidence that what you say is true. You made the claim (twice now)

it's up to you to prove that claim. That may be your opinion but until you can produce a law declaring the use of "motorized or mechanized mining equipment" illegal it's nothing but a claim without proof. Welcome to the internet.
:occasion14:

If it were true and you had produced a link to the California Code banning "motorized or mechanized mining equipment within a certain area near a river in California" to support your opinion it would be a different matter. We could discuss that. Until you do produce this imaginary law I, and others, will rely on the fact that there is no evidence of such law in the California Code.

You based your opinion on something. If that something was California law it should be easy to point us to this law. The law is public and available on the internet within the California Code. If, as you say, this is a California mining law it should be pretty easy to find it in the California Code governing mining. I don't find any such law there. Maybe you do?

Heavy Pans
Not a lawyer and never will be but the challenge was sent to you, prove me and a lot others wrong.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I've seen and heard the same thing only to do some investigating this problem. I found that when you start having irregular operating problems with a bilge pump ,you need to open it up and clean out the small inlet filter OR clean out its internal parts from clay or small derbies that got sucked in.....I've repaired many pumps in this fashion.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a lawyer and never will be but the challenge was sent to you, prove me and a lot others wrong.

you realize the reason they try to use un clear definitions and changes of those definitions is because they didn't make an actual law???

they count on people being to scared to disagree.

there is no non motorized mining law. There is however no shortage of people willing to give up and not stand up for themselves. Because standing up is hard these days.

That is where your mining club has failed. The best thing that club could do is get a group of people together and running a motor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions