Billy Mays dies - screechy-voiced pitch-man

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I'm SURE this has happened to you . . .

You are watching an interesting program on TV.
Suddenly it switches to commercial, and you
hear what sounds like 100,000 fingernails
scratching on 100,000 blackboards . . .
:sad1:

"Billy Mays here, for Oxi-Clean . . ."

and the PAIN from splitting ear-drums snaps 4 cervical vertebrae as
you frantically search for the MUTE button.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/06/...sy_results.html

Beloved (???!!?) TV pitchman Billy Mays most likely died of heart failure, not from being hit on the head during a rough landing on a US Airways flight, the medical examiner in Tampa said.
:hello:

Attachments

• maysi.jpg
    maysi.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 278
  • maysi.jpg
    maysi.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 263

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't recall him as being "screechy voiced" just an amazing "pitch man". He started out on the boardwalks of AC NJ and ended up making a ton of money doing it. It took big 'stones' to do what he did.

God bless him and his family,

habs

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess you wont be bothered by him anymore?

OP
OP
UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
RJH02 said:
I guess you wont be bothered by him anymore?

My wife just reported that, by coincidence, Mays was
interviewed on a documentary about infomercials,
and he is actually a very nice, soft-spoken man who tried
very hard to be successful. He speaks normally with a
natural masculine voice, but admits if he spoke softly
"I wouldn't sell a thing."

Again, didn't mean to 'dis' the guy, but he DID
jar me out of a comfortable stupor more than once.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
UncleVinnys said:
Well, maybe I shouldn't be so harsh on him - -
he did make the Sham-Wow guy look good.

:wink:
I know Vince Shalomi. He was selling his shamy at a trade show I had a booth at in Charlotte, NC a few years ago before he got famous on TV. He was right across the aisle from me. We both were talking and he asked if I wanted to go to lunch. He asked me during lunch to join him on the road selling at trade shows. I wasn't interested. He wanted to go to a strip club after the show but I told him I do not go to those places. I saw him a few times after that at other shows and he always said hello and how everything was going.

So it is not too surprising that he was recently jailed for roughing up a lady of the evening when he almost had his tongue bitten off by her. He hit her and then she hit hit and then they both called the police. Both were arrested and Vince had to go to the hospital to have his tongue sowed up. He paid her a couple of grand for all night. Selling sham wow must pay really well.

Billy Mays sounded like a nice guy. He was abrasive with that voice and I am sure it was just his image.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Billy Mays was good at what he did. Unfortunately, the channels upped his volume at the very beginning of his infomercials to the point I had to either shut him down or drop the volume drastically. Didn't know him personally, but he gave a great delivery. So sad to be gone at such a young age. Blessings to the family.

hissinroaches

May 25, 2009
northern michigan,USA
Detector(s) used
treasure hunterxj9-3050
the grim reaper must of just got back from celeberty vacation. ed mc mann,farah faucet,micheal jackson and billy mays all gone in a week! thats just crazy.

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
The voice could drive you nuts.
However, Billy Mays was a very well respected guy by those that knew him. Billy came from Pittsburgh, and the local news has been doing lots of interviews with family and friends.
I can't say I had much respect for him or pitchmen in general until I watched the TV show "Pitchmen."
It showed the human side of the man.

What is Rush Limbaugh's favorite Billy Mays commercial?

"Billy Mays here, for Oxi-Cotyn . . ."

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Billy is going to be missed by myself and dedicated beard aficionados everywhere. His perfectly groomed facial hair was manly yet friendly. His show Pitchmen was a favorite around here he was a personable and funny guy and seemed really nice, he also was recently married and had children. He drove a Bentley.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread