Billy The Kid's Grave

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After Leaving the Rock-Hound State Park, Deming on the 27th, I went north through NM to the Billy The Kid Museum in Fort Sumner, NM. Along the way, I past through the HUGE valley that the White Sands Missile Range is located.
White Sands.JPG

At one point, in the middle of crossing the valley, I lost satellite reception. I wonder if White sands planned that.... hmmm.
Lost Sat.JPG

As you approach Vaughn NM, it is apparent you are in Billy The Kid Country
Corizozo.JPG BTKid.JPG

The next day I visited the museum at the east end of Fort Sumner, NM.
Billy.JPG

Here is a pic of Billy and Billy Bad-ass
BTKM.JPG

The museum is very large and contains many artifacts of the day, including the only known picture of Billy and Pat Garrett together.
Photo.JPG Pat Billy.JPG Pat&Billy.JPG

One of the many things on display includes an old car collection.
ModelT.JPG

But the reason I came is located about 5 1/2 miles away in the old Fort Sumner graveyard.
DSC00681.JPG Grave.JPG

I also met James and Kievie (I hope I spelled that right!)
KieVie.JPG

After Meeting two more people, Don and Lula Sweet, owners of the museum, I moved on to Adobe Walls, TX. TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Terry, for posting these historical photos. :thumbsup:
Wait a minute, lady. You calling MY photo..... historical? PLEASE let me DIE first! Kidding, Sue. TTC

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Wait a minute, lady. You calling MY photo..... historical? PLEASE let me DIE first! Kidding, Sue. TTC

giphy.gif

I was going to say you looked more handsome than Billy The Kid, but I was afraid I might come across as flirting. LOL!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
giphy.gif

I was going to say you looked more handsome than Billy The Kid, but I was afraid I might come across as flirting. LOL!
At 69, I accept ALL flirting from pretty women. TTX

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I broke down 20 south of Vaughn NM some time ago. The belt tensioner sping failed on a 96' Chevy lumina. I stayed two nights in Vaughn waiting on the part. The motel, service station, tow truck driver who was also the school's principal and even banker was all run by members of the same family. I have to say two nights in Vaughn, NM was enough for me. Carrizozo I thought was a nice area.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I broke down 20 south of Vaughn NM some time ago. The belt tensioner sping failed on a 96' Chevy lumina. I stayed two nights in Vaughn waiting on the part. The motel, service station, tow truck driver who was also the school's principal and even banker was all run by members of the same family. I have to say two nights in Vaughn, NM was enough for me. Carrizozo I thought was a nice area.
I picked up hwy 60 at Vaughn and drove east towards Clovis, NM. From outside of Vaughn to Clovis, I drove TWENTY SEVEN MILES without seeing a single home.... just thousands of cattle, hundreds of antelope, four tarantulas, and two llamas! Only about seven vehicles passed me going the other way. DESOLATE area. BTW, The Billy museum had two photos that mentioned Silver City. I thought I'd throw that in for you. TTC

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up hwy 60 at Vaughn and drove east towards Clovis, NM. From outside of Vaughn to Clovis, I drove TWENTY SEVEN MILES without seeing a single home.... just thousands of cattle, hundreds of antelope, four tarantulas, and two llamas! Only about seven vehicles passed me going the other way. DESOLATE area. BTW, The Billy museum had two photos that mentioned Silver City. I thought I'd throw that in for you. TTC
Yeah that's some high and dry country out there. I do miss going down to southern New Mexico at times.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing the wonderful time! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread